Thursday, March 6, 2008

Bible Reading Today

Numbers 11:1 - "And the people complained in the hearing of the LORD about their misfortunes, and when the LORD heard it, his anger was kindled, and the fire of the LORD bured among them and consumed some outlying parts of the camp."

Numbers 11:4-6 - "Now the rabble that was among them had a strong craving. And the people of Israel also wept again and said, Oh that we had meat to eat! We remember the fish we ate in Egypt that cost nothing, the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks, the onions, and the garlic. But now our strength is dried up, and there is nothing at all bu this manna to look at."

At first reading, this justs seems incredible to me. How in the world could the people of Israel complain about anything? God had miraculously brought them out of bondage in Egypt, parted the Red Sea, bringing them safely across on dry land, before bringing the waters down on the Egyptians. He has provided everything that they need. And yet, they were complaining. Not only were they complaining, but they were acting as though what they had back in Egypt was "the good life" and they wish they could go back there. To captivity! This seems insane. They were ungrateful for what God had done. They certainly did not deserve His kindness.

But, it doesn't take long to realize that this is just like me. God also, through His Son, Jesus Christ, brought me out of bondage, spiritual bondage, and gave me new life. And yet, how often I complain about the fact that things are not the way I wish them to be; and at times, when I sin, I act as though the sinful life, the unredeemed life, is better than what I have in Christ. That is real insanity!

May God grant me the grace to understand enough of what He has given me, so that I will always be thankful, even in the midst of unfortunate circumstances. May we all live with gratefulness in our hearts today. And when the seed of bitterness and complaint come, may God help us to recognize it immediately, humble ourselves, and seek forgiveness.

No comments: