Thursday, April 24, 2008

WHY IS GREG SINGING - IS THIS A JOKE?

This was the question a teenager in our church recently asked her mom during our worship service. I went up front with the worship team, grabbed a microphone and prepared to sing with them, when this teen asked her question. Maybe I should have been offended, but I wasn't. I can understand her question. I had not sung on the worship team before and there were already some voices on the team, including a male. So, it couldn't have been because they were desperate. I did like to do the unexpected, using creative ways to communicate truth (even though most of my creative ideas were actually someone else's creative ideas). So, someone could have thought I was up there to make some type of point that I would bring out later. Plus, it is possible that our people had heard me make disparaging comments about my own singing in the past. This question was not really surprising.

Hopefully, after we sang, she still didn't think it was a joke! Let me share with you why I joined the worship team:

1. I love to sing. I really do love it. I love singing when I am alone in the car or worshipping in a congregation. Singing on the worship team means that I get to sing even more often; and I have no choice but to sing if I am up front!

2. I love to lead people; and although I speak every week, this is leading with my heart, in expressive worship to our great God.

3. I can be a part of a team that is serving. When I preach and even when I prepare for messages, I am pretty much on my own. But, going to practices, following another leader, and participating with a group is a real joy. With this particular music team, it is fun to be together and serve together. Relationships make any sacrifice more than worth it!

4. Music is one of the most powerful tools God has given us, in which to worship Him. He also chooses to use it often to change our minds and heart attitudes. I want to be a part of seeing God work through this incredible medium.

5. It takes pressure off of me and I can just enjoy this ministry. I am not leading, so I do not have to worry about alot of the details of it. But, I can just show up to practices and our times of leading worship. I can just sing. It is actually a release of pressure and stress for me, not the other way around.

6. People close to me encouraged me to join the team. I don't believe I would seriously considered it if it hadn't been for my family and friends. It is a good reminder for me that God many times uses others to help us get involved in serving Him in ways we would not consider on our own.

7. I want to be an encouragement to those who are leading and participating in our worship music. I want them to know that I believe in what they are doing; and that I am willing to support them even with my own participation. We are in this together.

8. I truly believe that God is pleased with my joining the worship team. I am not just looking for something else to do. I already am very busy. But, after receiving encouragement from others to consider it, I spent much time praying for God's leading and for His will to be done. I sensed God's leading to be on the team. It was a desire on my heart that I believe He placed there. If God is leading, then I believe He will allow me to get everything done that needs to be done, including my participation on the worhsip team.

So, these are my reasons for being on the worship team. I know it may not last a long time; but while I am doing it, I am going to thank God for it, and enjoy serving Him in this way!

No comments: