Monday, September 15, 2008

My LIfe Story

I just realized that I did not post the blog entry below when I first wrote this out. So, as you read it, know that I wrote this on Monday, September 15th.

Last night, I shared my life story with my life group. Life group is what we call our small group ministry at Grace Baptist Church in Westlake, OH. This is the 3rd season for them, and we added an extra night a month (previously twice a month) to go a little deeper. The groups are not designed for adding Bible knowlege; but for putting the knowlege we already have into practical, real life action. We use the small group setting (12 people or less) so that every person, who chooses, can have some people to share the reality of life with. They can share what life is really like, including their greatest victories and hardest challenges. The goal is positive life change, as we "rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep"; and support one another in this life's journey.


One night a month (last night) was set aside for life stories. The idea is fairly simple: On the life story night, one person shares their life story. Isn't that simple? The goal is to share how God has used circumstances and people in our personal journies. The idea is to share highlights, which might include some very difficult events in life. Whatever God has used to shape an individual's life can be shared to give the group a better picture of their life journey. In many cases, what one person shares ends up being an incredible challenge or encouragement to others in the group. It is uplifting to listen to someone's story, and then come around that person with encouragement, support and prayer. These are the experiences my wife and I have had in other life group settings in a previous church.


But, when it came time for me to be the first person to share a life story in this group, in this church, I admit I was a little nervous. You never know how people will respond to a pastor sharing about his failures as well as victories. I think most people, deep down, want to know their pastors, and want to be able to be a support and encouragement to him; even in the midst of his weaknesses. However, many people woudl rather live with the illusion that the pastor has everything together and is a spiritual leader becasue he never really falls to temptation. Deep down, they know it is not true; but living in their fantasy is more comfortable for them.

I was also sharing in a mixed group of men and women (married couples). Some of what I had to share entered into the sexual area; and I was a little concerned how they might all process this information. I was careful to only share what I thought was pertinent to my life story; but in doing so, Idid share quite a bit of personal information, that the church at large, has not heard (in this detail), as of yet. It was taking a risk; but I felt it was well worth it.

Over the past few years, I have learned the incredible benefits of taking risks such as this. When someone steps forward to share the reality of life with a small group of caring people, they almost always respond with love and support. And then, in most cases, they respond in kind. They begin to share the reality of their lives as well. And once people are sharing the reality of life and not a made up spiritual fantasy, God seems to respond by helping people grow toward Him and together, in ways that seemed "far off" before.

My prayer is that will happen in our group. Even if it does not, I am thankful for the love and support that was shown me; and the encouragement I sensed from the Spirit of God, that, in sharing my life, I had done what was pleasing to Him. As always, I want to be:

Growing in Grace

No comments: