Saturday, May 16, 2009

2 FUNERALS, A BABY DEDICATION AND A WEDDING

One of the privileges of being a pastor is that I get to be with families during the major events and stages of life. I am there when the emotions are the strongest and true feelings, regardless of what they are, come out. I get to rejoice with those who are rejoicing and weep with those who weep. I get to see babies when they are first born, and hold the hands of people as they pass from his life. I am involved in the reality of people's lives, not just the external front most people get to see. I woudln't want to be doing anything else!

In the past few weeks, I have officiated at 2 funerals, a parent/child dedication, and today, I get to pronounce a young couple in love: husband and wife! I admit that funerals are the most difficult. Because emotions are so raw, I never know exactly what I am going to experience. It wasn't long ago, that I arrived early to meet with the family, just before the official viewing began for a parent who had died. Not 2 minutes after I walked in the room, family members were yelling at one another, verbally fighting, crying, making accusations, and dredging up the ugliness of past family life. I had to sit them all down, calm them all down, and try to bring some focus before the crowds arrived! Although funerals are tough, which also includes: being with families before the person actually dies; often being in the room when they die; being with family after the death; and then being a part of the viewing and officiating the funeral service...it is also the time when people need the greatest care, and just need someone to sit with them, listen to them, pray with them. I can do that. Every time I participate in a funeral, I am reminded of how short life really is; and what will be most important to leave behind once I am gone. This draws me closer to God...every time.

That is, of course, the end of life experiences. One of the greatest joys of mine is at the opposite end of the spectrum, when a new baby is born. I often get the opportunity to be one of the first ones to see a new baby in the hospital. I get to see the joy and extreme sleep deprivation on the new parent's faces! I get to hear the stories of how everything took place and how God brought this new life into the world. I get to hold this incredible creation of God, so small, so fragile. It is awesome! And then, within the first year or two, those same parents bring their child to be dedicated to God in our worship service. Our parent/child dedication, normally held on Mother's Day, is the time when parents publicly dedicate themselves to God and their children as well. The emphasis is on the ones who can make choices at this time, the parents, to commit themselves to bringing up their children in God's ways. The prayer is that the children, once they grow, will make a decision, on their own, to be followers of Jesus Christ. We just had a dedication, and it was great to see and hear they young children, making noises, moving around, and being present as their parents made this very important decision. You have to love babies!

And then, somewhere before the middle of life, usually, comes this special celebration, in which I get to participate today: a wedding! Many times, I get to be a part of the process, as I give pre-marital counseling in the months leading up to the special day. Today, I get to officiate as a young couple make lifetime vows to one another. I get to challenge them to look to the only one who can truly satisfy (Jesus Christ) and actually help them keep their vows. They will always remember this day, a new beginning...a new stage of life...the day when two separate individuals became one flesh! In a day, when half of the marriages end in divorce, today is a day of hope. And that hope is based on the power of Jesus Christ that can help us keep our commitments, regardless of what this life will bring. Congratulation to the bride and groom!

Thanks, God, for the privilege of being a part of people's lives, as we walk this life's journey together.

No comments: