Friday, April 22, 2011

THE PASSION

This time of year, everyone chooses how they are going to celebrate Easter. Some focus only on the Easter Bunny and candy for kids. Others focus on the season of Lent and go through the rituals that their particular religion affords them. For some, this time of year is just another holiday and hopefully some time off work and/or school. It means little to others, and yet some make it very meaningful, personally and/or for family.

For me, I enjoy many of the things that come with this time of year; but there is one, personal tradition, that I look forward to each year, and hope to continue for years to come. After our Good Friday service at church, and after most in my household have gone to bed, I watch the movie: The Passion of the Christ. For me, it is the most meaningful experience I have during this Easter season. I realize that Easter Sunday, with its resurrection theme, should be meaningful, and it is. But, for me, visualising the death of Christ is deeply moving and draws me closer to Him.

I had a friend, recently, who watched the movie for the first time; and didn't like it. For him, he saw some religious influences of another faith that he didn't agree with. He thought there was too much emphasis on Mary; and that some of the things that were portrayed didn't happen in the story. I can understand his perspective as others have held the same view. Still others think it is too graphic. This is one of those times where some people are going to like something, others aren't; and that is o.k. (one of those times? maybe I should say: and such is life - all the time, right?)

I guess I set aside some of the things that bother others. It is a movie, after all. But, for me, it is what Jesus went through, biblically, and then portrayed on the screen, that means so much to me. I get emotional as I think, anew, what Jesus went through in His trials, and what He did for me, on the cross. I am forever grateful; and although the words of Scripture should be enough to bring me to tears, it is the visual representation that goes right after my heart.

May God move you, toward Him, this Easter, regardless of how you choose to remember Jesus' death, burial and resurrection. For me, I'll grab my popcorn (actually, I don't think I've ever been able to eat during this movie) and my pillow (for comfort, not sleep); and once again, visualize what it was like for my Savior, my God, to sacrifice everything for my salvation.

No comments: