Sunday, August 7, 2011

Below Par

**I thought I already posted this, only to find out that it stayed as a draft for this past week. So, it is a week old, but since I already wrote it, don't want to waste it. Plus, I don't normally get to talk about golf in my blogs. So, here it is...

This phrase is normally used in a negative way, referring to someone who is not performing to the expected standard or above. They are underachieving. But, the actual meaning of the phrase is a good thing, when related to the game of golf. Par is the number of hits expected to put the ball in the hole; although only the good ones can score par consistently. We duffers will get a par every once in a while and feel really good about ourselves. But scoring below par, through birdies and eagles (ask your golfing friends for more explanation) is really, really good; even far above average!

This past Friday I had the privilege (for the 2nd year in a row) to attend a professional golf tournament, called the Bridgestone Invitational, held at the Firestone course in Akron, OH. I am grateful to the friends that have supplied me with the tickets, once again. It is very interesting, and fun, to be present, live, for the action; rather than just watching it on TV. It is fun to see the reactions of the golfers, the interaction with their caddies; and especially to watch the crowds.

One of the things that I couldn't get out of my mind, as I reflected on my experience there, was how important golf is made to be at a place and situation like that. There is alot ton of money spent, by spectators, to sit (or walk) out in the sun for 8 hours, to gasp on miss shots and to cheer the good shots, of guys in funny pants hitting a little round white ball, past the trees, over the sand, on the green and into a little hole, in as few as strokes as possible. People want their autographs and chant their name. And if the golfer, at the end of his round, were to give you the golf ball they just used, well, that would make the spectator's day, or even week or year!

I love sports and I love to watch it live; but in the grand scope of what is truly important, it really isn't. These guys have spent countless hours perfecting their game, so they could play it for a living (which is great!) and make money and in come cases, become well known. I'm sure there are Christian golfers using this as a great opportunity to share their faith and be a testimony for Christ. But, in most cases, these guys spend their lives and their fans spend their cheers on things that are very temporary and not truly valuable.

That made me think of how those of us who will never be famous or make a ton of money, and will never get cheered. The truth is, if we spend our lives practicing righteousness, learning to love and follow Jesus in a better way...if we spend our time and money and what lasts for eternity - the changed lives of people in Christ - then we are investing ourselves in what truly matters, and what is truly cheer worthy.

Those who value what God values are living extraordinary lives.

No comments: