Saturday, October 6, 2012

Lessons in Losing

I hate losing...always have. Since I was a wee little one, I have been involved in athletic competition, and I have always hated losing. But, I can't get over the fact that I have learned much more in my losing  than in winning. No doubt, I have learned in winning, and it is much more enjoyable...much more! But, as I watched my son lose another soccer game today, it reminded me of the good lessons in losing I have learned. Here are the top 5, not necessarily in any particular order:

5) If you are thankful in losing, you are doing God's will. God asks us to be thankful in all circumstances, including losing; and there is so much to be thankful for in losing. Be thankful for the health to play, any skill you might have, the beautiful day on which to play, etc. There is much to be thankful for.

4) Character is developed in losing. I suppose some character can be learned through winning, but more more is tested, and developed in losing. How will I respond to the refs terrible calls (and they always seem to make worse calls when I lose!)? Who will I blame for the loss (since that seems to be the natural response)? Am I willing to be humble and have upright character at all times?

3) There is always something to improve...always.  In winning, it is much harder to recognize or even believe that we have things to improve on. But, in losing, it ought to be evident, if we are willing to pay attention and admit we have a ways to go. Am I willing to work harder, longer, and be more consistent? Will I practice harder, and better, so that I will play better? Identify what needs to be improved and grow in whatever area is identified.

2) Winning will be more appreciated. Those who lose often are so much more grateful, and excited, and thankful and blessed in winning. We all tend to cheer for those who have tasted losing for so long, that they will experience what winning feels like. It is a principle in life. Those who don't have very much tend to be more grateful for what they have and the extra blessings that others take for granted.

1) It can make me more like Jesus. From an athletic perspective, and certainly a worldly one, Jesus was a loser. He was not accepted by the religious rulers. He was hunted by the authorities. He was ridiculed by the masses. And although many followed him for a time, all eventually left Him, especially as He was taken, judged and crucified. All who were crucified were seen as losers. And yet, we know that Jesus was the ultimate winner, and the fact that He had victory over sin and death allows us to as well. When we lose in life, we can remember that if we will handle it like Jesus, remembering what is truly important, we will, in fact, be winners - on the only scoreboard that matters.

No comments: