Saturday, January 11, 2014

20 LESSONS FROM 20 YEARS - LESSON 1

It is hard for me to believe that it was back in December of 1993 that I accepted my first ministry as a full-time pastor. These 20 years have gone so quickly. I have learned so much. I thought it would be helpful for me, and an encouragement for my mom (who is the one person I am pretty sure reads my blog), to write down some of the lessons God has taught me over these years of ministry. None of these are unique to me; and yet these are the things God has brought to my mind and heart, as it relates to some important lessons I have learned.

LESSON 1: I have learned to boast in God, my weaknesses, and the cross of Jesus.
When I first began ministry, and in many years that I have served, I admit that there were a couple of things I wanted to boast in. However, this boasting was not in anything I had accomplished, but in what I hoped to accomplish one day: Having a large, growing church; and being in one ministry for over 20 years. I thought having a large church (not sure the exact number I had in mind) was a sign of God's blessing; and I thought being at one church for over 20 years (not sure why I chose that number) was a sign of my faithfulness and leadership. I was wrong. I'm not saying that those in large churches or that have stayed for over 20 years are not blessed by God, or are not faithful or good leaders. They may be. In fact, I look up to many of them.

But, I believe that one of the reasons God has allowed me to be in smaller churches and well short of 20 years in each, is because He had a very important lesson for me to learn. And I am guessing that if I had only been in one church all these years and had a large, growing church, that God knew I would not have learned it. I believe in the sovereignty of God; and therefore, I believe God has had His hand on this the entire 20 years. And even with my sins, mistakes, and failures, it has not kept God from teaching me some very important lessons, and accomplishing His will and bringing Himself glory!

This lesson is, of course, not some great idea I came up with on my own. It was written thousands of years ago; but I am just learning it. Here are some of the Scriptures that speak to this lesson about boasting:

Psalm 34:2 - "My soul makes its boast in the LORD; let the humble hear and be glad."

II Corinthians 11:30 - "If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness."

Galatians 6:14 - "But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."

So, over the years, God has given me some things to boast about; and these have helped to keep my attention and focus, when I am tempted to want to boast about big congregations and long term pastorates.
  • I will boast in God. He alone deserves my praise!
  • I will boast in my weaknesses, because in them I have seen God's work and how He can still use me.
  • I will boast in the cross of Jesus, for it is through His death, burial and resurrection that I can have eternal life; and that others can have it as well.

No comments: