Friday, October 26, 2007

Halftime

Last year was the big 40. It was then that the whole idea of halftime hit me. I have loved sports as far back as I can remember, and have been used to the importance of halftime. It seemed to me that I was feeling like my life was in halftime. This thought has been on my mind for the past year, and I continue to move ahead with evaluating the past and preparing for the rest of the game of life. Below is my writing from last year, as it explains my thinking and is the basis for this blog site.

HALFTIME - written October 26, 2006

“It’s halftime.” Many times in my life, those words have brought some relief and feelings of urgency at the same time. The first thoughts centered around what had happened so far in the game. They were either thoughts of excitement because we were playing so well or they were discouraging because of how lousy we performed so far. There might be some yelling from a coach, blaming from other players or possibly a unified expression, such as a shout of praise or groan, depending on the halftime score.

The other issue at halftime, the more pressing issue was: how we need to play in the second half. If the first half was great, we were challenged with the goal of not letting down and continuing to perform at a high level. If the first half had been a disaster, then we were challenged to “pick up” our game and make an incredible turn around in the second half.

Regardless of what happened in the first half of a game, there was always a good reason to focus on what we could change – how we played the final half of the game. It would be, based on what took place in that second half, what would be talked about and remembered. We could be seen as “chokers” if we blew a first half lead and lose; or we could be seen as champions if we held the lead to the end or made an incredible comeback.

Halftime is a nice time in the game. Although we have enjoyed playing the game, we still get to out and play some more. It’s not over yet. And maybe, with the halftime evaluation and strategy, the second half can be the best part of the game; and once the game is actually over, the halftime may be seen as the turning point that led to victory.

All of a sudden, people are telling me that because of another birthday, life, for me, is on the “downswing”. I have received gifts like a cane and cards that say things like: “Here’s everything you need for your 40th Birthday (with appropriate pictures): 1. The Cake; 2. The Ice Cream; 3. The Presents; [then open the card] 4. The Hill! – Try not to think about it – Happy Birthday”. Yeah – thanks. I don’t think I like that very much. The last time I had trouble with my new age was turning 25, when I could not get out of my mind that I was a “quarter century” old.

So, as I try to think positively and pro-actively about this new age, the idea of a halftime has been rolling around in my brain. The athletic imagery described earlier could possibly be applied to my life right now. Only God knows if I am at halftime, in the 2nd quarter, middle of the 3rd, or only have a few minutes left in my “game”. But, it seems to be a great time for me to consider this to be my “halftime”.

It means I will spend some time in the next couple months really evaluating the first 40 years of my life: my victories, my defeats (seems like a lot more of those); and more importantly, God’s involvement in it all. A closer look at God’s character and actions that relate to my first half of life will allow me to see more of Him and less of my failures or achievements. He gets the glory.

Then, I will concentrate most of my time on looking ahead to the “second half” of life. What does God want me to accomplish now, regardless of victories or defeats of the past? What things need to remain constant and what things need to be changed? When my life is over, what will victory look like? I must keep in mind that the glory of God, not receiving awards or recognition from others, is my ultimate goal. In order to glorify God, what strategies need to be put in place for the “second half” of life?

I am excited about this life project over the next several months. After all of the “condolences” I have received for my birthday, it is nice to have something positive to look forward to! I am open to your suggestions for how to evaluate my first half and how to plan for the second. I would appreciate your thoughts or stories of what you have done. My purpose for this life project is to be able, at the final buzzer, to say with Paul:

II Timothy 4:7 – “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.”

May God give you the grace to see your life as He sees it, and to live it to the fullest extent of joy, for His glory!

Greg


One of the resources I began using several months ago, and am still working through is a book entitled "Chazown" by Craig Groeschel. It is leading me through the process of understanding my personal core values, spiritual gifts, life mission, and the corresponding goals that go with it. I have enjoyed my journey through the book so far, and I look forward to ways in which it will assist me in the strategy for the 2nd Half.

No comments: