Saturday, June 28, 2008

Big Brother and a Blow out

The past few days have been pretty full and interesting. On Thursday afternoon, I picked Michael up from the airport (he was coming in for 13 days). He is the older brother of Alex and Isabella we didn't know existed until a few months ago. I previously blogged about this on April 3rd: "We have family in Idaho?" We are excited about getting to know him better, and having Alex and Isabella spend some time with this long lost brother. It is so cool what God has done; and we believe there is much more left of this story...to be continued in the future!


This week, Alex and Isabella have been on their first missions trip (not counting when they went with me as small children). They attended Jr. High summer camp, also doing community projects during the day. We are very thankful for this ministry opportunity they have taken. When Michael's parents (yes - adoptive) heard that they would be at camp, they wondered if Michael might be able to go as well. We were actually thinking that ourselves; and set it all up. I was going to take Michael, on Friday, to spend the last day of camp and the missions trip with Alex and Isabella.


One problem: I was supposed to go on the Father/Son camping trip with our church, with my other son, Caleb. We were really looking forward to it. Caleb is so awesome. He accepted and was genuinely excited about plan B: Take Michael to camp and then spend the day together, camping out there instead. Everything looked like it would work out. So, early on Friday morning, we set out for the camp in the limosine for the day - my baby blue beautiful 1997 Ford Aspire (don't be jealous).


About 30 minutes into the trip, the limo started to rattle and roll (and not from the loud rock music we were playing), make loud noises and then slow down. I pulled off to the side of the road, only to find out that the right passenger side tire had a blow out. The tire was completely off the wheel - not good. I am very thankful, we were all safe; and the limo was in tact. Within the hour, the tow truck was there and he helped me put on the little donut spare (I didn't exactly have the tools needed). At least I had my AAA card and cell phone (with a cell or two left). We found a place to replace the tire (thanks Walmart! - actually replace 2 tires, since they found steel coming through another one!). We were then back on our way, and did make it safely to the camp- before lunch!


Caleb and I had a great time together; and Michael was able to enjoy the final day and night of camp and the missions trip with Alex and Isabella. It has been an exciting few days; but I wouldn't exactly wish for the same circumstances any time soon. Another lesson learned: Many of God's greatest blessings come in the midst of challenges; and need to be received with thankfulness and enjoyed. It is too easy to allow disappointment, discontentment or discouragement to keep me from seeing all of God's blessings.

No comments: