Sunday, June 15, 2008

THEY CALL ME DADDY

That word: Daddy, must be the greatest word ever created. I love hearing it! Yesterday, I heard it often from my children: Thank you daddy; Daddy, can you get me a drink of water; Daddy! (in response to my teasing); Daddy, can you play soccer with me?; Thanks for coaching my soccer team daddy; daddy, can I have another piece of pizza?

I loved it every time I have heard it. It is definitely a special term of endearment; and there is something special about a child using it to refer to his/her father. It reminds me of how dependent my children are on me: what I provide for them in terms of resources, support, encouragement and example. And although I fail them often, I feel special every time I hear that special "D" word.

I think, today on Father's Day, of my daddy. I just call him "dad" now, but Dale Whiting, still living on the East side of Des Moines, Iowa (where I grew up), still has the special "daddy" place in my heart. My dad was a hard worker, and so I treasured the times he spent with me. I remember certain things, and I am sure I have forgotten many. But, some of those special times I remember include: early morning family devotions, when after the final prayer, my brother or sister and I would grab onto dad's legs, causing him to drag us around the house before he left for work; him taking me to a track some early mornings to run; he waited on the front porch one night for me, as I walked around, trying to come to terms with a difficult break up; he would share bits of wisdom with me at crucial times; he came to my sporting events; he disciplined me (not fun, but bonding, nonetheless); he would call, once I left home for school, to let me know he was praying for me (I have never doubted that).

I'm sure there are many more, but those were closest to my mind today. Thanks, daddy, for your love for God, for mom, and for me (David and Mary as well). I will always cherish my growing up days with you; and I pray that my children will have as good of memories of me as their day some day, that I have of you now.

I am going to enjoy today, seeing my children worshipping God together, eating together, playing together - just being together. I can think of no better gift.

Happy Father's Day!

No comments: