Sunday, August 10, 2008

BUT GOD NEVER TAKES A VACATION!

We are in the midst of a 2 week family vacation. But, even as we greatly enjoy this time, I am aware that there are pastors and friends of mine who do not take vacations. Although there are a variety of reasons, the one that challenges me the most goes something like this: "I just can't take vacation. I have too much to do here at the church. Besides, if I leave, the church might fall apart!" I admit that there have been times when I have wondered if I should take the vacation weeks I am offered by the gracious people of Grace Baptist church.

I no longer think about it. I do consider the timing of the vacation, as it relates to what is happening at church, or in relation to other staff. However, I do not wrestle any longer with any guilt over leaving for a few days, a week, or even a couple of weeks. But, what if things go wrong at church? How can I take vacation when others in my church, including church leaders, do not get as much vacation time? How can I "take time off" when God never does?

It is pretty simple, as far as I am concerned. I must have "time away", in order to be recharged and be most effective in my ministry. It is not about how far away I travel. It is about not being in the office or responsible for ministry during a period of time. It is not about spending money, because vacations can be done without much cost. It is not about selfishness, because investing time in my family is one of the most important things I can do. In fact, I could argue that taking the time away from ministry makes an invaluable impact on my family; which is very difficult to measure.

I have heard of many pastor's families that eventually struggle because the pastor simple does not take the time to be with them for extended periods of time. I realize that we must not just rely on one vacation a year to make up for neglect during the year. I would agree that it is just as important or more important, even, to spend time with family throughout the year, finding ways to let them know how important they are.

For me, it means taking one day off a week and being available to my family. During the summer months, we try to go places together on my day off and make the most of it. It means being home more nights than I am out. It means I will not be able to do all I could do in ministry, or that other guys do; and yet I believe I am doing the most important things. Just my opinion.

So, to all my non-vacationing friends who are making more hospital calls and visiting door to door and spending the extra 20 hours on their messages: "Take some time off, go play with your kids, take your family on a trip, enjoy being with them, Let them know how important they are to you - more important than your minsitry - and leave your ministry in God's hands. I'm pretty sure He can handle it!"

No comments: