Thursday, August 14, 2008

Communicating for a Change: Book Review

One of the blessings of vacation is that I normally get a little time to read some books I have been wanting to read or finish. One such book was Communicating for a Change by Andy Stanley and Lane Jones. I really appreciate Andy's writing and what I have learned of his ministry. A couple of months ago, Steve (my associate) and I were able to go to his DRIVE conference and thoroughly enjoyed it. So, I was looking forward to reading this book that I knew would challenge my communication style as it relates to preaching God's Word.

These words in the introduction give away a basic goal of his in preaching: "Every time I stand to communicate I want to take one simple truth and lodge it in the heart of the listener. I want them to know that one thing and know what to do with it." The rest of the book explains why this is important and how to go about doing it.

What I also enjoyed about one of his other books, that he wrote with Lane, is that the first half of the book is told in story form, but it lays out the basic components of process that he is trying to communicate. In this case, a pastor is sent to learn about preaching from a truck driver. It is a very easy and interesting read. The second half of the book goes through and explains in more detail the points brought up in the telling of the story.

In this section, he begins by saying that every communicator needs to determine what his goal is in speaking. This sounds simplistic, as do most of his major points, but they challenge what most communicators actually do, including me. He said most communicators have 1 of 3 goals for speaking: Teach the Bible to people; teach people the Bible; or teach people how to live a life that reflects the values, principles, and truths of the Bible: life change. This last one is the one he suggests, and the one that captures my heart.

I realized that some of what he is talking about has been something I have been wrestling with in the past, making it a part of my regular preaching. "When you commit to preach for life change, your preparation is not complete until you have answered two very important questions: So what? and Now what?" That statement made me feel like I am doing something right, by emphasizing the SO WHAT? question in most messages.

I was challenged most, however, in the section entitled: pick a point. This is the hardest one for me to apply. I have been trained and used to a point by point style of preaching, usually emphasizing 3 or more points in a message. Stanley wrote this rebuke: "If life change is your goal, point by point preaching is not the most effective approach." He suggests that you should pick one and only one point, going through this process: "dig until you find it; build everything around it; and make it stick."

There are several other things in the book that were helpful to me; and I will work at incorporating some of them into my preaching as time goes on. It is a book I would encourage any communicator to pick up and read. There are some simple principles that can help make us more effective communcators for the glory of God.

As I read this book and others like it (especially about ministry), I am reminded that we all have more to learn, we can all improve; and there are no perfect methods, styles, or books. But, if we will humbly desire to keep learning and growing in every aspect of life and ministry, I believe God will be honored, and others will be blessed.

No comments: