Monday, October 20, 2008

WHO WOULD JESUS VOTE FOR - A title

I have this as a title for my message this coming Sunday. Now all I need is a message to go with it! I don't normally do this (get a title before the content of the message), and I don't necessarily recommend it. There is a running joke among pastors that we find great illustrations and then try to find a passage of Scripture to go with it. In this case, I finally decided to break my message series in the gospel of Mark in order to preach on politics. I thought this might be a catchy title.

I really struggled with whether or not to do a message on politics. It is a touchy subject for so many people; and for pastors to talk about it, they take a huge risk. It is not as much a risk legally as it is to be misunderstood by those who are listening or who eventually read the message. However, this is something that most people are thinking about, talking about, and concerned about. Many Christians are wrestling with how they should engage the political issues.

The Bible does speak to how believers are to respond to government, by giving many principles to live by. It also deals with how God relates to government, and how that should affect our view of what happens in world government. My desire in my message is to be fair to the biblical texts, and be careful to not make assertions that are not supported by Scripture. There will be many who hear me who will be disappointed because I won't say what they hope I will say. But, as long as I am true to the Scriptures, I will be satisfied.

WHO WOULD JESUS VOTE FOR?
I will preach this message (once I get one!) this coming Sunday, October 26th.
I will post it as a blog next week some time.

No comments: