Monday, March 2, 2009

When I grow up, I want to be a youth pastor and a regular dad

When I heard the statement, I laughed. Then, I felt excited...then, I felt terrified. Why? Because, it was my 8 year old son that made the statement. First of all, any statement he or his twin sister make seem cute; and it doesn't take much for us to laugh with joy when they say something that we don't expect. The way he said it made me laugh, along with his use of the work "regular". Many times, we ask a question and then everyone goes around the table and answers it. But, we weren't asking the question about what you want to be when you grow up. In fact, we weren't asking any questions. He just kind of came out with it. That added to the element of surprise.

The excitement I felt was 2-fold. First, when he said he wanted to be a pastor, that automatically gets me excited since that is what God called me to do. We never push our kids to desire certain occupations in the future; and we know that, within a short period of time, his desire to be a youth pastor might turn into a desire to be a pilot, garbage man or ballet dancer! I understand this. But, to hear it was as equally exciting as when, in the past, my 9 year old daughter has said she wants to be a missionary. I feel like I have to give all these disclaimers here. I know being a pastor or missionary is no greater in God's eyes than being anything else, as long as it is what God has called someone to. But, I won't apologize for my excitement when my kids say such things!

The second part of my excitement came from his desire to be a "regular" dad. I assumed he was thinking that I also was a regular dad, and this means that he wants to be like me. That is also very humbling, but exciting at the same time. Yes, yes, I know what you cynics out there are saying: "just wait, Greg...in a few years, he won't want to be a regular dad anymore, he will want to be like a certain professional athlete or his youth pastor or someone else, rather than you." Yes, I know; but stop trying to ruin my moment of joy, will you?

And then, the terrifying part. This means that what my son knows about being a pastor or a regular dad, is, at least for now, going to come from me. That is humbling and causes me to have, what I think is a healthy fear. We want our children to see ministry as a blessing from God; and protect them from some of the nasty elements that come "with the territory." We want to appreciate the positives of being in a pastor's family; and to see how God uses other people to be a blessing to us as well. Here in our present church (Grace Baptist of Westlake, OH), we have recounted for our children, often, how God has used the great people in this church in our lives; even providing, at times, for some basic needs.

If my son decides, in the future, that God is directing him into some other type of work (I do realize - another disclaimer - that any work we do can be ministry), I pray it will not be because of my example. And I trust, that if he marries and has children some day, that his desire to be a regular dad will bring back memories of his dad, failing, but trying to love him and lead him to God.

Amen.

No comments: