Saturday, July 18, 2009

Do Hard Things

I don't know where I first heard of the book. It may have been seeing it at my brother's house last summer. Our youth pastor has been handing it out as well. But, this summer, I took the time to read it and discuss it with my teenage son and daughter. The book is entitled: Do Hard Things, and was co-authored by twin brothers, Alex and Brett Harris. I had read a book about dating from their older brother Joshua some years back. The sub-title of the book is: "A teenage rebellion against low expectations."

In their opening chapter, they ask some questions that gives you an idea of where they are headed:
  • "Is it possible that even though teens today have more freedom than any other generation in history, we're actually missing out on some of the best years of our lives?
  • Is it possible that what our culture says about the purpose and potential of the teen years is a lie and that we are its victims?
  • Is it possible that or teen years give us a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for huge accomplishments - as individuals and as a generation?
  • And finally, what would our lives look like if we set out on a different path entirely- a path that required more effort but promised a lot more reward?

We describe that alternative path with three simple words: 'do hard things'."

I enjoyed reading the book. Although it is directed mostly to teens, it motivated me to consider any limitations I might be living down do as well, at this stage of my life. I can remember my youth pastor giving me advice, as I graduated from high school: "Don't be limited by what others around you do or say. Look to make a difference for Christ, even if it may be a different path than most take or would encourage you to take." I was reminded of his words as I read this book.

As a former youth pastor, and now as a dad, I cannot rememer reading a better book, that was directed to teens, that also held up for them the standard of God and His Word, rather than the world around them. I was impressed with the heart of what I was reading. So, I had my son and daughter read the book as well and talk about it together. The other blessing came in hearing that there was a conference, based on the book, that was coming to Ohio. But, as I searched for it, I found there was a Do Hard things Conference in Chicago, IL, on the same weekend we were travelling back from Iowa to Ohio. I got on line and reserved 3 tickets.

The conference was excellent. I especially appreciated what their dad, Gregg Harris, had to say, as he shared the gospel, in a way that was pointed toward professing Christians who really weren't. It was a blessing to be present to hear that message, and then to see dozens of people stand up publicly and profess Jesus Christ as Lord. I never get tired of seeing and hearing that!

The information in the book and shared at the conference is what I think every Christian parent and pastor would want for their children and people of faith to hear. I highly recommend both. YOu already have the title of the book; but if you are interested in their website, go to:

www.therebelution.com

May God help you to do the hard things for His glory!

Greg

No comments: