Saturday, August 8, 2009

Pop Goes The Church - a book review

Pop Goes The Church by Tim Stevens
Power Publishing - 2008

The back cover says it this way: "Pop Goes the Church will open your mind to church in a way that breaks down walls, engages the culture and speaks to a generation that needs to hear good news." Another writer that I enjoy, Craig Groeschel, wrote this on the back cover about this book: "Stevens writes with a sense of urgency that will inspire your ministry to an authentic and relevant presentation of God's transforming Word." The author, Stevens, that Groeschel refers to is a high school friend of mine (hopefully still a friend after this review), Tim Stevens. Tim reminds me that he came to my school in 2nd grade. We parted ways after high school, but have had contact with one another and have seen one another through the years. I had the chance to stop through Granger, Indiana, visit his church, and spend time with his family just a couple months ago. Tim is the executive pastor of Granger Church in Granger, Indiana. I have been to church services and seminars there; and greatly appreciate Tim's heart for ministry.

I am not a professional book reviewer, but I do enjoy books; and this gives me an opportunity to think more about what I have read. I admitted to Tim that his book was my "bathroom book" for quite a while. I am always reading several books at a time; but normally I have one book that sits in my office bathroom; and when I visit there (visits seem to be more frequent with my advancing age), I read a little from the book. I also admit that the only reason I heard about and purchased the book, is because I know Tim and count him as a friend. If you are my friend and write a book, I promise to buy yours as well! My brother, David, who is a pastor of an exciting, growing church in Rochester, NY, is mentioned twice in the book (p.13, 210,211), so that gains my interest as well. I am mentioned once in the book, somewhat generically, but not really in a positive way. So, if you want more information about that, you will have to read the book for yourself!

A few of my favorite quotes from the book:
"I fear it is because we are too busy answering questions no one is asking" [p.25]

"It is about getting out of our holy huddles, turning around and looking real people right in the eyes, seeing the lives they live and the problems they encounter (as messy and unholy as they might be). [p.39]

"The problem is we have no memory of what it is not to know. And so our churches, led by people plagued with the curse of knowledge, provide experiences and design services that feel right to people. who know stuff but totally miss the boat when it comes to people who don't." [p.46]

"It seems as if every week I receive an opportunity by e-mail to boycott this, petition that, sign a covenant, or let a business know my Christian beliefs about its product. honestly, these types of activities make me sick. Those businesses and organizations we want to boycott are being run and led by people - human beings - with families and kids and lives and choices. We may was well say to them, 'Go to hell because I don't give a rip about your eternity. Just stay away from me and my family and out of our picket-fence-protected homes.' Our actions are perceived as holier than thous, and they put us in the category of all Christians are the same." [p.70]

"So we can celebrate the art - knowing it came from the skills, intelligence, and creativity of a being fashioned by God himself. We can also celebrate the content of much of the art in the world today art that reflects a real search and longing for that which is right and true. Like Paul speaking to the Athenians, we can say, I see you are seeking God. Let me tell you more about this God you seek." [p.86]

"Here is the bottom line: Pe0ple have needs (Translated: They itch). If you can help meet those needs (Tranaslated: Scratch the itch), you will gain an audience who will be open to the rest of the truth of scripture." [p.117]

"Jesus learned from his pop culture, found purpose in a secular image, and redeemed the culture by giving it new spiritual meaning." [p.129] "...He went to parties, drank wine, and was seen with the most dishonest and deceptive people in the community." [p.132]

"If you want to begin to engage the culture in your church, you should start studying the culture." [p.166]

A few of the things I had questions about:
"Frustration Sets In" [pgs. 36-38] : Here, Tim talks about his frustration with the church he grew up in. Thing is, I grew up in that same church and really struggled with the things he said. He might be right, that only 2 adults accepted Christ and that the church was not effective in the community; but I want to believe that he is wrong.

"And so the world passes by, never hearing how much theymatter to God." [p.79]: This statement was made after mentioning that many churches did not use the DaVinci Code or Spider-Man 3 movies as themes in their services, when they were popular. I am o.k. with churches, such as Tim's, that choose to use movie clips and themes as a bridge to the gospel; but I'm not sure I agree with the implication, that my church, and others who don't use these things, are then completely unable to communicate God's love to our world.

"And to keep our kids away from society, we send them to a Chrsitian school with Christian teachers and Christian friends so they can learn the Christan way to read, write, and add. Two things happen when we do this. First, we remove our influence from the world...The second thing that happens when we try to make our entire lives Christian is that we fail to teach our kids (or learn ourselves) how to be discerning...So when we do interact with someone outside our Chrsitian bubble, we come off as fanatical or wierd - worse yet, as superior and judgmental." [pgs.91.92]: Hopefully, Tim is just talking about those who are completely extreme. Although I believe every family can choose whether to home school, or send their kids to public or private schools, I do not believe that those who choose a Christian school are removing themselves from influencing the world. In many cases, they are being prepared to have an incredible, godly influence on our world. The same could be said for Christian parents who educated their kids at home, in a completely "Christian way". Regardless of where we send our kids to school, every Chrsitian parent has the responsiblity to train their children in God's ways; and to make sure that theyare exposed to the peopel in our world that we are called to love and communicate the gospel to. These do not have to be mutually exclusive things.

On pages 92,93, Tim gives a quote from a blogger, about his experience at a U2 concert, who said: "I was amazed at how often I felt the presence of God in the arena." The reason he felt God, was because Bono kept referring to "the Almighty" and he "began singing 'hallelujah' over and over again." Just after this, Craig Detweiler is quoted as saying: "It is easy to identify what's wrong with Eminem, but finding what's right, identifying and understanding what millions of teens connect with, takes much more work." [p.93]: As I read these quotes and many like it in the book, I kept thinking of my own experience and the experiences of many others, who have endulged in pop culture at times, and found themselves thinking the opposite of what God asks us to think in Philippians 4:8. Do we have to fill our minds and hearts, and those of our children, with ungodly images and words, in order to understand that there is sin and searching in the hearts of people who do not yet know God?

"I think if every married couple watched this movie together, it would create space for conversation about their commitment to each other. They might reflect on boundaries that will protect their marriage from a bad choice made in a moment of weakness." [p.102]: The movie Tim was referring to was "Unfaithful". I, unfortunately, watched this movie several years ago, and I would never suggest anyone watch this movie, let alone a couple for the purpose of "creating space for conversation about their commitment". The movie, in my opinion, glamorizes adultery, makes it look exciting, and includes at least partial nudity (I can't fully remember - I don't want to). In my opinion, the movie has more potential to destroy a marriage than it does heal one. I might be wrong; but I doubt it. I believe there are better ways to help couples communicate and consider their commitment than to have them watch this kind of movie. Am I too narrow, out of touch, seen as uncaring? So be it.

Conclusion: I was encouraged by this book, as I know Tim, and as I see his church, and others, doing whatever they can, in order to get the good news of Jesus Christ to our world today. Even if I woudln't do it in exactly the same way, it encourages me even more to know that God is using many different people, in many different methods, to do what He said he would do: build His church. I am also greatly challenged by the book, as it has caused me to rethink my own attitudes and actions concerning the things Tim writes about. I don't pretend to have arrived or to have it all right. I am wrong all the time. It is good for me to read books like this and and consider that I might need to make changes. As I tell everyone with any book that I read or recommend: "I don't expect myself or you to agree with everything that is written, in any book, by any author." I recommend, however, that you read Tim's book: Pop Goes the Church, and hopefully be encouraged and challenged, as I was.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm honored that you posted a review on my book Greg. Seriously, thank you for making the time. I thought I'd clarify a couple things:

1) The incident about you in the book was a very positive turning point in my life. It hurt at the time...but I'm so glad God used you and your dad to get my attention.

2) Hopefully it came through that my memory of my church experience growing up was just that...my memory.

3) What? You didn't use Spider-Man 3? Unbelievable. Just kidding...I love that there are all kinds of churches. My goal is to help more pastors and leaders awaken to the "outsiders." If they are figuring out other ways to do it--that is awesome.

4) I think Christian schools are great. I don't regret my education at a private Christian school at all. So yes, I was talking about those who are extreme. I think it is easy for parents to keep their kids in a Christian bubble until they graduate high school--or sometimes until they graduate college--and then their kids start their own families and the bubble continues with absolutely NO contact or impact with people who don't know Jesus.

Thanks again Greg. It means so much that you would honor me with a review.