Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Jim Elliot

My favorite quote from Jim Elliot, the missionary, who lost his life, while sharing Christ's love with the Auca Indians back in the 1950's, is this: "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." That is a great one, and has been an inspiration to many Christians over many decades. But, today, a friend of mine sent me another quote from Jim Elliot, and I just had to share it with you. Here it is:

"Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road; make me a fork, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me."

Read it again, and think about it. It connected with me right away. I haven't heard this quote before. This is a great prayer. This is how I have applied it to my own heart. Because my personality tends to be laid back and I don't like to cause waves, most people who meet me don't feel like they have a decision to make. However, I have found that when I do challenge people, to get out of their comfort zones, to think biblically, to do the hard things, that there is quite a bit of opposition. This is my prayer: that I would be a person, who stands on God's Word, who fails, but keeps moving forward in Christ, and who challenges others to grow in their faith.

In doing so, by example and by exhortation, I want to be someone just like Jim Elliot prayed to be. I want to be a person that causes people to make a decision, one way or the other. I want to be used by God to challenge people, either to follow after God and His ways, regardless of the risks or costs; or to decide to remain comfortable, serving themselves, wasting their lives. May God give me the grace needed to be that man - no matter the outcome.

No comments: