Monday, December 28, 2009

Second to: "Your Zipper is down"!

There are certain nightmares that pastors normally have; and the one that usually tops the list is: going up to the platform to speak, only to have your zipper unzipped. I'm sure there are different levels of embarrassment that could come with that one, but I will just leave it at that. It probably tops the list. But, the one that comes next, at least on my list, is what happened to me this past week.

I certainly do think quite a bit about going up to speak only to realize I don't have my notes. Many guys, better than me, don't use notes, so they don't worry about this. But, for me, that would not be good. However, this does not rank second on my list, because although there would be a delay, I could go to my office or get the message off my computer fairly easily.

No, what ranks second for me, and what I experienced this past week, went like this: Because of the holidays and family coming into town, I worked especially hard to finish my message early in the week. I did a great job, doing my study, and then writing my message in good time. I was pleased with it. I finished just before I needed to go home. That would give me the next day to finish some other, secondary things for the week, and then be home for a couple of days with the family, outside of participating in a Christmas Eve service.

However, just as I was getting ready to print my message and send it to the guy who prepares my power point each week, I "lost the message". Only 4 pages were still on the computer, when I had done about 20 pages of work. Don't worry: the message wasn't that long, but once you add in the power point pages, outlines, etc., it gets longer. I panicked.

I searched the computer and could find it no where. I called my friend and computer expert, Dave; and he couldn't find it after hours of trying. And if Dave can't find it, no one can (or at least that is how the saying goes...that I just made up...but I do believe it)! My heart sank. This is the second worst thing I could think of...all that work...gone!

I spent the next day, trying to remember what I had written down; and basically, writing the message all over again. I know...your problems and "nightmares" are worse than mine; but this was simply from this particular pastor's perspective. Poor me.

Have a Happy beginning to your New Year!

1 comment:

dave said...

What you left out is that although we had a confirmed casualty at about 7PM, somehow, you had it rewritten and back to me by 9:30AM!

And preached it flawlessly Sunday morning!

Don't know how you pulled that off, but thanks for the work you put into preaching God's Word.....I'll never view the High Priest's ephod the same!