Saturday, November 13, 2010

Church and Oil Changes

On my way to work from my oil change this morning, it hit me: I can learn something about church ministry from my oil change experience. I want the church worship experience to be a good one for everyone that comes, and my oil change experience was not a good one. The specific name of the place I went will remain anonymous (unless you want to know so that you never take your car there!):
  • when I arrived for my 7 a.m. appointment, the doors were locked. No one showed up to let me in until 7:05 a.m. Not good! I waited and didn't lambaste them for their rudeness; but none the less, it wasn't good. If we say we have a service or program here at church, the appropriate doors need to be unlocked, with signage and/or people there to help. We need to be "open for business" when we say we are. In fact, we should be "open" and ready for people well before the appointed time listed.
  • There was no apology. I didn't let this deter me from staying, but I would think good customer service would include a sincere apology when there is a situation like this. As a church, I would hope that if a door is locked, or there was not good signage, or no help for someone finding a room, or we were not prepared when someone came to a class or service - that we would sincerely apologize for our mistake and do what we can to demonstrate that we are so glad they are there!
  • I heard excuses for why it took almost 20 minutes for my car to get into the garage to be looked at when I was the only customer for the first 10 minutes. Instead of giving an explanation and asking for patience, with apology, the guy up front made excuses without any concern for his customers. As a church, one of the most important things we can do is communicate with our guests. And if something does not go right and causes some discomfort for our guests, we ought to apologize and explain what we are doing to correct the issue.
  • While I was waiting (and working - at least I brought my laptop with me to be productive!), the guy who works up front was on the phone with a couple personal phone calls. In one case, he was swearing on the phone and threatening to go over to this guy's house and slap him around! I assume this is a friend or family member, but it didn't sound good to the customers who were waiting for service. Here at church, it is so important that we are aware of our guests, those we are trying to serve. Yelling or swearing at others, even our own family members, has no place at anytime, but especially in public, when it adversely affects others. No matter the relationship, we need to be kind and loving; and if a tough conversation has to take place, it should not take place publicly, at church!
  • My appointment was at 7 a.m. and I walked out and got in my car at 8:17 a.m. (almost 1 hour and 20 minutes later!) Again, no apology for how long it took; and in fact, my car was parked at different location where I could not see it, wasn't told where it was, and I had to find it on my own. Those who come to church should be able to expect consistency from us. If we say that a service or meeting or program lasts a certain amount of time, we should do our best to be done at that time, or apologize for not being done. It is all about valuing people and one of their most valuable resources: their time!
  • I came in with a coupon for a $16.99 oil change and then paid a bill at the end (adding nothing on to the oil change) for $25.53. The explanation given was that this was for an extra quart of oil and for taxes. There was no explanation prior, on the coupon or given before the work was done. I expected a few dollars in tax, perhaps, but not to pay almost $9 more than what the coupon promised. Again, it is about expectations and communication for the church. And beside time, other people certainly count money as one of their most valuable resources (if not their most). We do not charge for our services here. In fact, it is only our committed attenders and members that we ask to give to God through our offering: voluntarily, joyfully and sacrificially (all biblical principles). It is our desire, not to take as much money as we can from someone (even somewhat deceptively); but instead, to encourage people to experience God's blessing by giving back some of what God has given them to Him as a part of their worship.

In summary, I hope my experience at the oil change will make me: more sensitive to others; go beyond their expectations; and through communication and care, demonstrate true love to others I come into contact with!

No comments: