Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Surprised by the Song of Solomon - part 3

I have already shared how my surprise at how challenging it was to preach the Song of Solomon - most challenge message series I have ever had! And I have shared how surprising it was that I had to convince people that this was an inspired book of the Bible that needed to be preached, and practiced! In fact, it was so challenging that some admitted to me later that they attended another church during this series because they just couldn't handle it. Now, before you think I was up there describing every sexual nuance, listen to the messages first! I empathize with those who struggled because I did as well. But, I'm not sure it would have worked out very well if I skipped church during that series with them!

Another thing that surprised at, somewhat in contrast to the previous entry, was the positive feedback I received. I don't know if it was because people knew how much I was struggling through the series and they wanted to encourage me, or if this series really just had that great of impact on people,even though many others were struggling incredibly through it. Once again, I cannot remember a message series where the responses were so divided.

I will give you a sampling of the positive responses I received:
  • "your preaching from the Song of Solomon has helped [us] alot. I would be lying if I said things have been easy for us this year, but we have continued to work at it, and your messages each week, while I know have been very difficult for you, have gotten us back where we used to be."
  • We [mostly my wife] has had several talks with [our daughter] over the past year, leading up to this series. So, she is fully aware of this topice and it is perfect for her to hear it from you and the church with how God is pleased with this type of relationship. We want to encourage a positive approach to sex and marriage. It has been great for [my wife] and I to over the cores of a good marriage relationship. All that to say THANK YOU for doing this series... I'm sure it has been "hard" or "wierd" but it is much needed to come from the church; and I wish my church, as a kid, would have had such a good approach and public proclamation of this truth..."
  • "I can't tell you what a wonderful renaissance [my wife] and I are experiencing in our relationship. After [many] years of marriage, it is like we are falling in love all over again. I attribute this to several things...Most recently, your message series on the Song of Solomon has been a blessing as well. We have experienced a new found love life that is better than I could have ever imagined. I know that it was not a coincidence that you were led to preach this series at this time of our marriage..."

I received other notes, e-mails, texts, and kind words, that have encouraged me throughout this series. My favorite text, after a particularly challenging, direct message on the great gift of sex, was this: "thanks for the great afternoon!" It surprised me, made me laugh, and smile, and caused me to say "thank you" God for not letting me get out of preaching this very important, practical book!

No comments: