Sunday, May 22, 2011

YES!

I was asked a question this past week that caused me to think, really think about my heart answer. Not the answer that appeases people or sounds good, or even the "right" answer; but the true, heart felt answer. I suppose every person asks, or ought to ask themselves questions like this one: Do I still want to be a plumber; Do I still love being a lawyer; Do I really want to keep working for this company? So, I have been thinking about my answer...

I suppose people ask this question when things aren't going so well. Perhaps the pay isn't great, and there is more financial pressure. Or, the work place doesn't seem safe, either physically or emotionally. Sometimes, there is great tension at work, or at home because of work. And other times, for those of us growing older, we wonder: is this really how I want to spend the rest of my really productive working days?

DO YOU STILL WANT TO BE A PASTOR?
This is the question I was asked, and after thinking about it, these are some of the reasons, even from the last few days, as to why I gave the answer I did:



  1. There is nothing else I would rather do. There are other things I could do. Last time, in between pastoral positions, I was a security guard, paper boy (I prefer paperman - sounds more like a super hero), and worked at Chick-fil-a, all during the same period of time. I love coaching basketball and if I could make a living at it, it would be tempting. I could probably teach the Bible somewhere, like a Bible College. But, deep down, I know God called me to this, that it is a privilege, and truly, at this moment, there is nothing else I would rather do with my "productive years".


  2. The world hasn't ended yet. Last night, another prediction of the end of the world came and went. But, everybody seemed to be talking about it, even sports talk radio. It was on most of the news stations, even though most of the Christian world opposed Harold Camping's prediction of May 21, 2011 for the end (or at least the Rapture). But, it reminded me, that during such days, and in light of all kinds of varying beliefs in our world, people need pastors who are willing to "rightly divide the Word of truth", talking about what the Bible says, and what it doesn't say. Even my own family needs that. As a pastor, I get to do that, for my job!


  3. I experienced the ultimate high. I should just leave that statement hanging, and find out what all of you thought I meant by that. Before you ask if I've considered rehab or if the police should be called, let me explain. Yesterday, in the midst of a counseling appointment (I was the counselor this time!), someone prayed to receive Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior!!! If you have ever led someone in a prayer to trust in Jesus for salvation, then you know what I mean when I say it is the ultimate high, for any follower of Jesus. And because I am a pastor, I seem to get more opportunities to be an eyewitness to people being changed, for eternity; and it is a humbling privilege.


  4. Cigarette cartons in the parking lot. As I arrived at the church early this morning, I was greeted, by the door I enter, with an empty bottle of powerade, an empty bottle of an energy drink, and 3 empty cigarette cartons. The fact that they were just tossed down outside our doors probably means that those who littered were not regular attenders of our church, who would probably not just throw garbage on the grounds of their church. By the empty cartons, I can't tell, of course, of their spiritual condition. But, it did remind me of this. I pastor because I want to reach people and help them take the next step in their spiritual journey. And I don't just want to minister to people, here, who are disgruntled Baptists from another church. I don't want to just minister to people who think they have it "all together." I want to work with and serve those who smoke, those who drink, those who don't know what modesty means, those who have addictions, those who swear, those who don't have a lot of bare skin because of their tattoos, or many spots they haven't yet tried some type of ring on their body. I want our church to be open to those who are hurting, and brave enough to admit it. I want to minister to the kinds of people that Jesus ministered to: those who have problems, or at least know they have problems (the "sick" as Jesus termed it).

Despite the crap (believe me - I never used this kind of language until I became a pastor - actually until I was in my second decade of pastoring) that pastors have to shovel every day (and I realize that everyone else, in every other profession has to do the same thing), when I remember that I am serving the Lord, and not trying to please "men", then I am in the right spirit and have joy in serving. There is nothing else I would rather do, investing my life in others. So, for those of you, that were just looking for a simple answer, you can stop with the title of this entry: YES!

No comments: