Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Steve Jobs

Recently, on a plane, I saw someone with the book: Steve Jobs; and it reminded me that I would like to read it sometime. It interested me, not because I am a computer geek (no one would ever accuse me of that); but because Mr. Jobs was a famous figure, who changed technology for everyone, including me. And since his life is now over (passed away this past October), I would like to know what was most important to him. My wife checked out the book for me, but because of its popularity it was a 7 day loan; and it is a big book! She said they had a large print edition that could be a longer loan, but I just couldn't bring my young self to get it. Today is day 7 and I just finished it. I admit I sped read some sections.

First of all, I agree that Steve Jobs was a genius. He didn't always come up with the technology himself, but he was a visionary and knew how to get the right people to go beyond even what they thought was capable. He certainly was an incredible leader, although the way he led is highly controversial. And no one can argue that he didn't incredibly impact life as we know it. Even though I am not a "Mac" guy, I love the iphone and some of the greatest innovations in technology seem to have come from the Apple company in the last few years. If not the greatest, then certainly the most popular.

When Steve died, he had a ton of money (which he always insisted was not important), a ton of fame (I think he did like that part), and a most successful company (he was banking on the idea that he put Apple in a position to be a long lasting company). The writer, biographer, Walter Isaacson, believes that Steve Jobs will be remembered 100 years from now as we remember Edison and Ford. We will see (well, we won't, but our grand kids might). He worked hard and made his own way. There is much to admire about Steve Jobs. I suppose many might even be jealous of many aspects of his life: the women, the cars, the money, the prestige, etc. But, not me.

I love true stories and the way Isaacson wrote, it seems that it was pretty true to life. In his lifetime, Steve Jobs controlled a lot of people and found a way to manipulate the truth. In fact, many times in the book, his "reality distortion field" was mentioned. But, the author was free to tell the whole story, which included many unflattering things. No doubt, we all have unflattering things that are true about us; and most of us wouldn't want them written down for the world to see. I give him credit for that as well.

But, for me personally, the reading of this book brought 2 distinct emotions: I felt sorry for Steve; and I felt grateful for the life God has given me. I felt sorry for Steve because I really believe he chased after the wrong things. His career path was fine and his inventions were great; but he kept pursuing peace and happiness down the path that could never bring it. He tried religion, but that, as he even admitted, did not bring the peace he was looking for. He got most everything he wanted, but he verbally and emotionally "abused" many in the process. When Isaacson asked him "Why are you sometimes so mean"?, he responded: "This is who I am, and you can't expect me to be someone I'm not." I feel sorry for him...especially now that his life is over and he has to face his Creator.

I also feel very grateful to God. The greatest gift He gave me was eternal life. Nothing on earth can compare to that. He also gave me the grace to place family and relationships as a high priority, even over work. People are the most important to God (certainly more than anything we could create) and any "legacy" I have will be lived out in those that I impact, for the good. I am a failure in many things, but by God's grace, my short life will help others (not learn any new technological gadgets); but instead, will somehow help many take their next steps in their spiritual journey.

I recommend you read the book, enjoy it; and be grateful.




No comments: