Sunday, August 19, 2012

There's no crying in vacuuming!

Tom Hanks, in his role as a women's baseball manager, famously said: "There's no crying in baseball"! I thought of that quote yesterday as I was crying while vacuuming. Here in Georgia, we live with my brother-in-law and his family; which makes for 14 of us, plus 2 dogs in their home. It has been great and we really appreciate their hospitality. We have tried to carry on some traditions, such as "super Saturday". That is what my wife coined, to describe a detailed cleaning of the house. In Cleveland, it would take about 1.5 hours for our family to do a good cleaning on a Saturday. Not bad. Here in Georgia, we began doing that as well; and with all of us involved, even in this larger home, we are able to "knock it out" in a good amount of time. My favorite "super Saturday" job is vacuuming. I haven't been able to get that job the last couple of weeks. It was mine yesterday.

While I vacuumed, I listened to music on my phone; and just listened to the same 3 songs over and over again: "10,000 reasons" by Matt Redman;"Forever Reign" by Hillsong; and "One Thing Remains" by Jesus Culture. In case you have not heard these songs, let me give you just a sampling of the lyrics. And then, I would encourage you, as soon as possible, to listen to them. You don't have to be vacuuming to listen (just in case you were wondering).

10,000 reasons:
"And on that day, when my strength is failing; The end draws near and my time has come...
Still my soul will sing Your praise unending; Ten Thousand years and then forevermore...
Chorus: Bless the Lord O my soul, O my soul; Worship His holy name.
Sing like never before, O my soul; Worship His holy name."

Forever Reign:
"You are good, You are good, when there's nothing good in me
You are love, You are love, on display for all to see
You are light, You are light, when the darkness closes in
You are hope, You are hope You ahave covered all my sin
Chorus: Oh, I'm running to Your arms, I'm running to Your arms
The riches of your love, will always be enough
Nothing compares to Your embrace, Light of the World forever reign"

One  Thing Remains:
"Higher than the mountains that I face; Stronger than the power of the grave
Constant through the trial and the change, One thing remains - One thing remains
Chorus: Your love never fails, it never gives up, it never runs out on me
Your love never fails, it never gives up, it never runs out on me.
On and on and on and on it goes; it overwhelms and satisfies my soul
And I never, ever, have to be afraid, this one thing remains, one thing remains
[repeat chorus]

I don't know how you respond to lyrics like that; but I already told you how I did.
And that brought to mind Tom Hanks line, which is easily carried over to the houseworking world:
"There's no crying in vacuuming"!
Well, I guess there is now!

So, turn on the vacuum, the ipod, and then have a good cry!
And you can tell your family and friends I said it was o.k.

No comments: