Saturday, April 5, 2014

20 LESSONS IN 20 YEARS: LESSON 13

20 years seems like a really long time; but as others as old as I can attest, it goes very, very quickly! It is hard to remember all the details of all of these years as a pastor, and yet there are many lessons that come to mind, as I think and pray about it all. I am a continual learner, and with every lesson I am reminded that all of these things can be unlearned if not practiced. When I say "I have learned", it is true; but it is equally true I am still learning these very things.

Lesson 13: I have learned to recognize and say what God wants me to say

I am sure that all who follow Jesus would say it is important to recognize what God wants us to do and say; and then to do it. I would think that most would also admit that although this seems pretty simple, it is almost never easy. Additionally, if we really do what God wants, it doesn't mean that everyone else will like it. In fact, just as with Jesus Himself, when you do and say what God directs, it may bring very a very critical and negative reaction; even from those closest to you, even from those who claim to believe in and follow God. Following Jesus completely is full of tough choices; especially as it relates to doing and saying everything God directs us to do and say.

When it comes to being a pastor, a communicator of God's Word, I find this especially tricky. Unless someone has been in this role, it may be hard to fully understand what extra challenges pastors face in this area of what to say - especially in public preaching/teaching. There are a couple of other very real challenges to add to the challenge of my role. I like to please people. I want people to like me. It is very hard for me to say something that I fear others may not like. Add to this the fact that my personality lends itself to blending in rather than sticking out and being noticed. I know this sounds strange for a pastor who speaks in front of crowds every week; but it is true. Therefore, although I like to be creative in my preaching, when possible, I want people to remember God's truth and not my theatrics, so to speak.

I have failed often, but one thing I have learned (and am learning) is to recognize what God wants me to say and then to say it. I have to do that without worrying about the consequences. When I am communicating God's Word, it is up to me to be His messenger and represent Him. Therefore, I pray, not only about what to preach, but how to preach it. And this also includes sensitive issues and times of counseling and tough conversations. There have been many times when I recognize that what I believe God wants me to say is not going to go over well; and I have to make a decision: is this about pleasing people or about pleasing God.

This is a continual lesson to learn. Whether in preaching or counseling or leading or casual conversation, I desire that God will be pleased. And in those circumstances where others will not, I will commit myself and others into God's hands; and suffer any consequences - for His glory! This is really what God has called all of us to do. If we do and say, in our world, what He has asked, we will suffer, in some way; and yet God will smile, and someday give us our reward: Well done, good and faithful servant!

No comments: