Monday, April 14, 2014

20 LESSONS IN 20 YEARS: LESSON 14

Lesson 14: I have learned to pray

If you have read any of my previous posts about the lessons I have learned, then you already know that I don't think I have fully arrived on any of these. Prayer is one of those things that we all could improve on. I haven't met one person yet, in my almost half a century of life, who have said that they are fully satisfied with their "prayer life" and they have no improvements to make in that area!

I have certainly learned a variety of things about prayer over the years. I have prayed in many different ways through the years as well. There are many good resources that can help us with prayer. But, the one thing I have learned, that has helped me the most, has nothing to do with acrostic helps or books or conferences or prayer positions. It has to do with an attitude, a posture, a mindset that is about consistency.

In learning to pray, the one verse that comes to mind is:
I Thessalonians 5:17 - "Pray continually"
There has been many thoughts given as it relates to this phrase; but the one thing that has stuck in my mind and heart; and has been lived out in practice, is the main thing I have learned about praying.
It is personal. It is conversational. It is real.

What I have learned is to talk to God as I would to anyone else in relationship. The differences are that God is Spirit, I can talk to Him anytime, and it is the most important relationship to me. I can talk to Him in the car, in bed, in the shower, anytime, anywhere. I find myself talking to God ALL THE TIME! And that has helped me, incredibly, in keeping God in mind and including Him in every aspect of my life. I find myself confessing my sins more often, keeping focus on the right things more often, and even keeping God's Word in mind much more readily.

I sing to Him, I cry out to Him, and I sometimes find myself getting upset, as the authors of some of the Psalms often do. I am learning to be real with God; and as far as I am concerned, that is prayer!



No comments: