Friday, February 15, 2008

Mr. Livingstone, I presume

We are always looking for things that we can use at the dinner table, to engage our children's in the truths of God, and encourage them to follow Him. One recent attempt at this was to read a chapter each night from the book: David Livingstone: Africa's Trailblazer, by Janet and Geoff Benge. It is a part of the Christian Heroes: Then and Now Series, put out by YWAM publishing. Our older children have read some of the other books in the series on their own. We would highly recommend them.

David Livingstone gained a passion for missions, and because of a particular missionary that he heard speak, his heart was drawn to reach the people of Africa with the gospel. His specific "call" was to reach people with the truth who had never heard. If a people group of Africa had already heard the gospel, it was his desire to move on forward to share it with others, whom the gospel had not yet reached.

The historical context of this story is that David was born in 1813 and died in 1873. He was trained as a medical doctor and used the knowledge he had to bring some physical healing to those in Africa as well. But, the majority of this story seemed to center in on the hardships David faced as he went to places no other "white man" had ever been, and produced journals and maps that helped him become very well known back in London, England.

He faced many trials, including the attacks of wild animals, limited transportation options, lack of funds, opposition to the gospel, and all kinds of diseases (to name a few). What really struck me was that he married a missionary's daughter and began to serve with her. But, very soon, when children came, he was separated (for a variety of necessary reasons) from his wife and children. In fact, he really did not get to see his children grow up. He continued to "trailblaze" in Africa, where his family could not go. He saw limited "success" of the gospel changing hearts, but he did do incredible things when it came to geographical success.

I know that "success" in spiritual terms is not about numbers necessarily. But, I found myself really bothered by the fact that he continued his treks into untamed Africa, when his wife and children needed him most. I suppose people could argue on either side of this. What I have come to settle on in my mind is this: If it was a particular "call", a burden, that David Livingstone could not shake or put aside...if he truly believed that this is what God wanted him to do...if he and his wife understood the risks involved before they were married...then it seems to me that he sacrificed some of the most important things in life for what WAS most important. He sacrificed the better for the best. He gave his life for Jesus Christ.

I would never want the comforts of life to keep me from following God's direction. And yet, I would also not want some personal accomplishments that might come from doing something to tempt me away from God's will of loving my family and leading them to God. I have always been open to going anywhere God calls, but I sense, that at least at this time in my life, He has called me to have my family with me in ministry. Maybe that will change when they are "on their own". I am also convinced, at least for the moment, that God has called me to serve Him here in the United States. Yes, many have heard of the gospel, but most have not responded.

May we all be sensitive to what God has called us to do - for the sake of eternity and for His glory!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God bless you, greg, as you serve our risen Savior. I am filled with joy as I think of Him and His love. I emailed my daughter in law to that effect and I felt the hand of God on me as I did.
love, alice