Friday, February 8, 2008

VICTORIA'S SECRET

I couldn't believe my eyes! There, on the glossy cover, was an alluring picture of a women in her underwear. My disbelief was not that she was a woman or that she was alluring or that she was undressed. All of these things I would expect from this particular catalog. What I could not believe was the circumstances in which I saw this picture. I was truly dumbfounded.

One half hour earlier, my wife was in my office with me, working on my computer, and I mentioned how tired I was. She mentioned how she would really like to keep working on my computer; and so it seemed like a good opportunity to go home and get a little rest before the rest of the busy day and a very late night. As I arrived home, I took the mail out of the mailbox and carried it to the kitchen. Opening up the folded pile, there it was: The Victoria's Secret catolog. This is when I used one of the approved pastor swear words: CRAP!

The reason I could not believe this was happening was because of our past efforts to keep this catolog out of our house. In the past, it came to us (we believe) because we were put on the mailing list for Bath and Body Works, which many times is right next to Victoria's Secret in malls. However, when we called them, they denied that there was any connection and we must have received it for a different reason. Well, it was recently that Teresa was in a Bath and Body Works store, and she gave them her mailing address. We are pretty sure this is how it happened again.

The reason this was all such a big deal was because of my sinful past and my present temptations. In the past, if I would have the opportunity to look through a catolog like this one, I would normally have taken it (in private, of course). It wasn't that this particular catolog was the issue, but that my flesh was drawn to pictures like this, whether in a publication or video. It seems that I am wired to be visual and to appreciate the form of women. And yet, I am not supposed to go beyond appreciation to lust. Therein lies the problem. And because of this struggle, there was no way that myself or my wife would want this catalog in our home; and would do anything to keep it out. We know the trap that these alluring pictures can set, especially for men.

In our society, of course, these types of visual images are EVERYWHERE, in all kinds of forms. There is no way to shut them out of life completely. The key is to know how to deal with them. And yet, I am responsible before God to remain pure. There is a battle that rages within me - between the old man and the new man, the flesh and the Spirit, the old creation and the new creation, the old nature and the new nature. This is real, whether the issue at hand is lust or greed or gossip or pride.

This is whyI must concentrate on what I call the VICTORIOUS SECRETS. In my moments of temptation or recognition of potential traps, I have to call on the victorious secrets that are revealed in the Word of God. And just as in the catalog, where the secret is really not a secret because you can view almost everything, these victorious secrets are clearly spelled out in Scripture. we just need to take the time to gaze at them, take in the view, meditate on them, and put the truth into action.

VICTORIOUS SECRET #1: God forgives any sin.

This doesn't sound like a secret, does it? It sounds obvious; and yet for those of us who struggle with lust; and sometimes from the perspective of those who don't struggle with this particular temptation, we don't seem so sure of this truth. Does God really forgive this sin? Is this one of those sins that He places as far away as the East is from the West? Does He forgive this sin even if someone commits it more than once? The obvious answer that seems like a secret is: YES! YES! YES! He does forgive the sin of lust, every time we confess: that humble, sincere agreement that we have broken God's law and need forgiveness.

Because of God's character (He is just), He promises to forgive, cleansing us from ALL unrighteousness. And He responds that way EVERY time we come to Him with this attitude. He removes the guilt and we can go before Him in confidence, having our slate wiped clean! Because we point to God's character for His glory, there is victory in asking for His forgiveness. There is also victory because it will not be held to our account in the future.

VICTORIOUS SECRET #2: God provides a way to escape every temptation

No matter how strong the pull is to any kind of temptation, God promises that we can learn to say no (Titus 2:12) to sin and to temptation (I Corinthians 10:13). Again, though, it is not about our ability or strength, but all about His character ("God is faithful"). But, this takes away all excuses. From the first sin of man, where Adam and Eve played the blame game, so all of us tend to have our excuses and tend to place the blame for sin elsewhere: "But, I just couldn't help it; God made me this way; if she didn't do that, then I wouldn't have done this; Satan is powerful you know, and knows just how to get to me, etc."

But, the truth is that God does not allow us to be tempted beyond what we (with His Spirit living in us) can resist. Although it is true that we will always fight the remnants of the old nature and will sin (I John 1:8), it is also true that we have no excuses when we give in. "I am fully responsible for my sin - no one else to blame." It also means that no matter the temptation, we must face it sqarely, and with God's help, have victory in that moment.

Back to my personal story with the catalog. I had a personal, spiritual victory this time; but please understand that this is not always the case. However, I praise God that "crap!" was my first response when I saw the glossy, seductive picture. Although in the past, I certainly would have entertained how to justify a few looks, I acted decesively this time. I called my wife who was still in my office and told her exactly what happened. She stayed on the phone with me while I put it in the kitchen garbage bag and then took the bag out to the garage garbage can. Perhaps none of you would be tempted by this, but I knew that if I allowed it to stay around for awhile or took too much time to consider the situation, my flesh may have won.

This victorious secret is no real secret: Regardless of our temptation, God can give us victory. We must not live in defeat, just "knowing" that we have no chance. We must not give up and live in the cycle of addiction...to anything. We can experience the victory, one temptation at a time.

VICTORIOUS SECRET #3: God provides support through other people

And when I say, "people who care", I mean people who truly care for our spiritual growth. These are people who will not sit in judgment, but also will not excuse sin or minimize our temptations. They will engage in the battle with us, as "brothers in arms", allies in this truly spiritual warfare.

One of the worst lies we can tell ourselves when it comes to sin and temptation, is that this is just between me and God, and I really don't need anyone's help. We have our reasons (excuses): "They won't understand; they will judge me; they will stop being my friend, etc." And yet, one of the reasons God gave us one another is so that we could share our deepest struggles and sins (James 5:16). Those who truly care will help take us to Christ and remind us of the truths we can easily forget when fighting alone.

I have found that when I am open with others, and allow them to join in the battle with me, God gives a greater strength, in failure and in victory.

May the Victorious Secrets, that are clearly marked in God's Word, be your strength, as you take another step toward Christ, daily fighting the good fight.



Greg

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg,

It is refreshing to see a pastor so open about his own struggles.

Anonymous said...

I usually read this and since it is often our Sunday sermon I rarely feel compelled to comment but, thank you for being open.

It is far to easy to forget we are not called to be perfect but to strive to be. It's convenient to see your pastor as having come pretty close to attaining it and therefore unable to relate when you fall or unable to understand your untidy life.

It is not in our strengths that God is truly glorified but in our weaknesses when we must rely solely on him.