Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What if they fell off the balcony?

One of my favorite worship songs is: Blessed Be Your Name. It is taken from the book of Job. After Job found out that he lost all of his children to tragic deaths, he did this:

Job 1:20-22 - "Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped. And he said, Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD."

I love singing the song, as it brings my love for God and commitment to His care to the forefront of my emotions and out through my voice. It is a great song of praise. But, I don't know that it was easy for Job, when He first said those words. It was probably pretty painful - very painful; and yet he did give God praise anyway - although he just lost all 10 of his children to death!

But, as with every biblical truth, the real test comes, not in the middle of a praise and worship song; but in the midst of loss, discouragement, and pain. I came very close yesterday, to being tested as to whether or not I would respond the way Job responded. At least, Teresa and I view this as though we were very close.

We were visiting with my parents in Cincinnati and staying at a 16 floor hotel. Teresa walked in yesterday to our room to find our youngest 3 children who had gone there ahead of her. What she saw was what might be played out in many parent's nightmares:

Our daughter Breanna and son Caleb were out on the balcony (we were on the 12th floor), but they were not just standing there looking out over the city. They were standing up on the ledge of the balcony, with only a foot or so of railing near their feet, in between them and a 12 story fall into the street! You can probably imagine what kinds of thoughts and feelings going through my wife's mind and body at that sight.

They did then get down in time for Teresa to chastise them for a while. We all talked about it as a family later. It has been difficult, even a day later, for Teresa and I to get that picture out of our minds - of our 2 children falling off the balcony to their death.

Would I have sung that song, or said what Job said - if they would have gone over that balcony?
I don't know - and I am extremely grateful that I have not yet been tested to that degree.

I told Teresa that there has been a prayer I find myself praying often; especially when my children's health and well being has been in danger; but also when I consider the spiritual battles they are facing in this world. The prayer goes something like this:

Lord, our children are really yours. I am not holding on to them with clenched fists; but with an open hand. They are yours, to do with as you please, for your purposes and for your glory. Although you know my concerns and desires for their physical and spiritual health, you know better than I, and I DO TRUST YOU WITH THEIR LIVES.

Whatever you choose to do, it will be right, it will be best; and I commit to praising you. I am committed not to spend my time worrying about my children; but enjoying every moment you give us with them. They are precious to us; but we know they are even more precious to you. And you will not allow anything to happen to them, except what is truly "best" in your perspective; and for your glory.

BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD!
Amen

No comments: