Monday, November 10, 2008

Another Theology Book?

I love to read. And I admit, part by choice, and part because of my occupation, I read a ton of theology and ministry books. Not much fiction, that is for sure. I do love ministry and I enjoy reading about what God is doing in other places, as well as learning more of how to minister effectively; and dreaming of what God might do here, in this ministry. And for many years, especially in college and seminary, theological books were a mainstay.

So, now I have another book to recommend to everyone. And, I would like to think it has theological connections; but I admit some might think I am treading on the edge of blasphemy when I say that. I would like to argue that this book teaches us about God, right and wrong; interdependence and true success. I, of course, am referring to the great theological work:

"Top of the World" by Peter May

Not familiar with it? Let me give you a little hint about it's content by giving you the subtitle. I hope the theological jargon doesn't confuse you. Are you ready? Are you sure? O.K. Here it is:

"Top of the World: The inside story of the Boston Celtics' amazing one-year turnaround to become NBA champions"

Now do you see what I mean? I'm sure you understand why I would call this a theological masterpiece - right? Maybe not. But, I did love the book, just like I love my Celtics. Yes, I said MY Celtics. I have followed and loved them since I first started to love basketball. And finally, after 22 years, they have won their 17th world chamionship. The inside information and behind the scenes stuff included in this book was fun for me to read. I'm sure you will love it too!

I know God doesn't probably "follow" basketball; but if He did, I have no doubt He would be a Celtics fan! The stars on the team came together to win a championship; and in order to do so, they had to put personal pride aside and embrace the team concept. What is more spiritual than that? They played hard, endured hardship, and never stopped believing. See hints of faith there? They followed their coach's lead, and the stars on the team led on and off the court. Even the guys who didn't play (benchwarmers) practiced hard, cheered hard for their teammates, and were ready to step in and play as needed - for the good of the team. Can I get an Amen?!

Ok - perhaps I have gone too far; but judge for yourself - AFTER you read the book!

No comments: