Monday, November 24, 2008

IF I WERE KING...

This morning, I got in the car to take my children to school; and as usual, the car stereo was set on our favorite station: 95.5 THE FISH. I am used to hearing great contemporary Christian music on the way to school. But, what do I hear instead, as soon as I start the car? Some song about Santa Claus. I couldn't believe my ears. Are you kidding me? Is this the right station? Did I lose a month of time somewhere?

I said: what is this? And my children happily reminded me that our favorite radio station (or used to be!) plays Christmas music from now until Christmas. I did a quick calendar check in my mind and confirmed what I thought: It is Monday, November 24th. It is not even Thanksgiving yet. It was then that I made my announcment to all of my children:

IF I WERE KING, PLAYING CHRISTMAS MUSIC BEFORE THANKSGIVING WOULD BE AGAINST THE LAW!

I would add to that, that you must wait until Thanksgiving is over; that is- midnight - the beginning of the next day. Plus, you must stop playing Christmas music at midnight just after Christmas is over. It's over - let's move on. Playing Christmas music this early does not give Thanksgiving its due. Can we please do one holiday celebration at a time? The same goes for all the Christmas commercials and various advertisements for all we are supposed to buy for Christmas, before we even thank God for what we already have - at Thanksgiving!

Yes, there are other things that would be true if I were king (no veggies on pizza comes to mind); but I will save those for another time. So, I am ready...as soon as somebody makes me king.
It probably is not going to happen in my house; so how about yours?

No comments: