Sunday, December 28, 2008

2009 New Year's Resolutions

Instead of thinking about my defined list of New Year's resolutions, I am thinking about 2009 New Year's Resolutions. This is not because of the particular year; but because I feel like I have, at least, 2009 things I need to work on. Recently, I have been made aware of many of my deficiencies. I have a ton of things that could be made into resolutions for the new year; and yet how long should that list be? I know that if I make the list too long, I will never accomplish it, or even stick with any part of it, if I am overwhelmed.

So, what should I do? I could try to do them all anyway. I could just forget it this year and not make any new goals. OR, I could focus on just a few things, and really gve myself to growing in those ways this next year. That means that I need to identify those few things. It means I need to be content with working on just a few things off the long list of my weaknesses. It means trusting that God knows what He is doing; and that He can do much more than I could ever think or imagine.

Maybe that is what I should do. Take one thing at a time, and give myself to it. Instead of feeling defeated because I didn't accomplish everything, I can be encouraged because progress will be able to be seen (at least by me) in at least one area at a time. So, Lord, where do you want me to focus first?

I think I will focus on...

What about you?

No comments: