Tuesday, December 9, 2008

It's time to speak - where are my notes?

It was a couple of Sundays ago, when I almost experienced one of my worst nightmares. As a pastor, who speaks almost every week, my nightmares include the greatest fears of most public speakers. And beside the fear that my "fly" would be open, I fear going up to speak and not having my notes. I realize that "real" pastors and public speakers don't need notes; but, unfortunately, I do; and if I didn't have them, I would be "lost".

So, our worship team (of which I am a part) finishes singing and I grab my file folder which I thought had my sermon notes. Fortunately, a video testimony began, which I had pre-planned to begin my message. I was going to wait up on the platform for the video to play, but when I looked in my folder, I realized it was the worship folder; and not my sermon notes! I panicked.
Fortunately, the video testimony was 4 minutes, 50 seconds; so I took the opportunity to walk off the platform, and then run down the outside hallway and to my office.

As I was running, as subtely as possible, I was trying to remember where I put those notes, since I usually walk all over the church, greeting people, before the service begins. they could be anywhere. I was praying that I would find it; and the first place to look was my office. Two guys who were assigned to pray for the message time were already in my office and I ran in, panting, asking if they had seen my message. To my relief, there it was, right on my desk where I left it!

I was very thankful. I hustled back to the hallway outside the platform and took my place with a minute or so to spare. I was grateful that this happened to be one of the few Sundays I used a video to begin my messge. I know, at some point, I will get up to speak, realize that I don't have my notes, and ask for people to pray while I run through the church looking for them. But thankfully, it hasn't happened yet. Someday, I'll be a real pastor and not need any notes. Until then, give me my folder (the one with my notes in it)!

No comments: