Friday, April 10, 2009

PASSION OF THE CHRIST

I am up late tonight because I am participating in my personal Good Friday tradition. I enjoyed another tradition earlier as I attended the Good Friday service at our church. It is helpful for me to hear music, celebrate the Lord's Table, and just take time to consider what Jesus did for me some 2,000 years ago. Then, usually by myself, I do what I am doing now: watching the movie, The Passion of the Christ. I know there are people that refuse to watch it. Either it is because of the R rating, or they just don't watch movies, or they are concerned whenever a movie trys to dramatize something in the Bible, because it cannot do it full justice. Others don't like the particular slant they feel that Mel Gibson put on it when he produced it; or the violence it protrays. I understand all of those concerns.

But, the reason I have watched it year after year, is because of the profound effect it has on me. The movie, from what I can tell, is very accurate in terms of what the Bible says. I know there are liberties taken, as with every movie. It is very well done, good acting, with a powerful message. But, there is one thing about this movie that leaves an impression on me every time I watch it. I really feel like I have a much better idea of what Jesus may have gone through, when He died on the cross for my sins.

When I read the biblical accounts, it is certainly moving, to read about Jesus suffering, trials and death. But, to watch a re-enactment of these things reminds me that this was no fairy tale. Jesus was real, and the suffering He went through on His way to the cross was also real, cruel, and incredibly painful. It has become much more real to me, as I can imagine it much better through this medium. Perhaps I shouldn't need the visual representation; but I can say that every time I watch this, my heart breaks as I consider what Jesus did for me.

I am humbled, and extremely grateful for the sacrifice that was given on my behalf. I don't want to forget what Jesus went through. I don't want it to be just words on the page. I don't want to just see it as another story in the Bible. I want to feel it. I want to let it touch my heart and mind in a deep way. I don't want to be the same, just going through the Good Friday and Easter motions year after year after year.

Watchig this movie is not as fun as an Easter egg hunt; and its gruesome protrayal will probably never leave my mind. I enjoy a good Easter egg filled with chocolate like anyone else; but I want these pictures to remain vivid, so that, hopefully, I will NEVER forget what Easter is really all about: the TRUE story of the death, burial and resurrection of my LORD and SAVIOR, JESUS CHRIST!

Even if you never see this movie, I pray you also will be touched, deep in your soul, by what Jesus really went through to provide for your salvation. And that is the real reason I can wish you a:

HAPPY EASTER!

No comments: