Friday, April 3, 2009

When are you going to preach from the Bible again?

A couple of months ago, this was a question posed to me on Sunday morning, just before our Sunday school classes were to begin. I was getting ready to leave my office, when Harriet (this person's name has been changed to protect the innocent) stopped me at the door. There was no "good morning Greg" or "how are you Greg" or "Greg, I had something I wanted to talk to you about. When would be a good time?" No, just the question, with a stern look: When are you going to preach from the Bible again?

Harriet had been coming to church for a long time, so I figured she knew I used the Bible every week for my messages. It didn't take me long to ask: "Harriet, are you asking about when we are going to start working through a book of the Bible again?" She responded: "yes"; and I was able to tell her: "today". She then, seemingly satisfied, said "good" and walked away. I said "bye Harriet" and that was it.

That conversation has caused me to reflect on my preaching, and how I use the Bible to communicate God's truth. I realize that Harriet probably didn't mean it literally, that I wasn't using the Bible in my preaching recently; but there is no doubt that she was making clear what kind of preaching she preferred. That led her to the question: "When are you going to preach from the Bible again?"

If Harriet was simply saying that she preferred it when I preach through a book of the Bible, I actually agree with her. I enjoy that more than a topical series, because I know where I am going and what to do: just go to the next verse in the book or the next passage. I am loving preaching through Exodus at the moment. In a topical series, the topic drives where we go in the Bible to discuss it; and normally, we are not in one place in the Bible for very long, before we are turning somewhere else to look at another aspect of that particular topic. Although, I do try to have one main text that we are looking at during each week of a topical message series.

The week before Harriet said this, I didn't preach because I was just getting back from out of town, and transitioning from a message series I had just completed. And that topical series: The Perfect Church, is probably the real reason why Harriet made her opinion known by asking her question. During that series, I was sharing, from the Bible, why we do what we do as a church. I talked about the message of salvation, the morning service, our Adult Bible Fellowships (Sunday school) and Life groups (small group ministry). The decisions we make about these services and programs all come from principles found in passages of Scripture; and that is what we did for 7 weeks. At the end of that message series, I encouraged everyone to be a positive part of our church and to help us move forward with what God had called us to do.


Because I was so specific about why we were doing what we were doing, it caused some people consternation and led to many meetings trying to calm some people down. I have learned that when you specifically appy the Bible to individual and church life, especially if it means change, it makes people uncomfortable. That's just the way it is. I understnad that. I guess I wish people would understand where I am coming from when it comes to preaching.

Years ago, it was all about content for me. I didn't care about illustrations or applications. In fact, I was taught that those were not really that important. Just "preach the Word" and it will do its work. I do still believe the power is in the Word of God. The Holy Spirit uses His Word to change hearts and lives. But, I also realize that great preachers like Jesus and the Apostle Paul, didn't emphasize knowledge of content as much as they emphasized applying the truth of God to everyday real life. In fact, they criticized those who were all about gaining more knowledge of the Scriptures and were not living out the truth of those very Scriptures in love.

So, some years back, my approach changed. I have become what I call an applicational preacher. In other words, my goal is not that people would just be "hearers of the Word" but "doers of it". Therefore, I am going to do whatever I need to, in order to clearly communicate to those who come, the truth of the Word of God in a way they can undertand and apply it to life. If the people of my church are best known for their ability to win Bible trivia games, then I have failed. If, however, they are known for their love, and their humble application of the Word of God, I can't think of anything more rewarding.

With that in mind, I try to balance preaching through books of the Bible and topical messages. I will preach through an Old Testament book, such as Judges or Ecclesiastes (I have done both); then, preach a topical series, such as What the Bible has to say about worship or the church or politics (I've done all three); then, to a New Testament book (I have done books such as Mark and Philippians); then back to a topical series. Normally, the books of the Bible take longer to get through, so I probably spend about 65% of my preaching in Bible books. I like it that way.

By doing this, I seek to accomplish Paul's desire: to "preach the whole counsel of God", realizing God's Spirit will use books and topics based on His Word, to change people's lives. Helping people take the next step in their spiritual journey is my desire; and this preaching philosophy fits that perfectly (at least for me).

So, Harriet, thank you for saying what you said, because it made me evaluate what I have been doing (in my preaching) and to be more confident that I am doing, at least for now, exactly what God has asked of me. I am so thankful, to God, for His Word, the privilege of preaching it every Sunday; and for the gracious people who sit and listen (as far as I know) each week.

Growing in Grace,
Greg

No comments: