Tuesday, April 28, 2009

ZERO SCORE AND SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO...

It was April 28, 1992, around 5:28 p.m., when I arrived at the front door to the girl's dorm and rang the bell. This beautiful young lady came to the door, and with that, our first date began. We went to the park, walked, talked and sat by a stream of water. We eventually went over to a friend's house and had pizza. Teresa still remembers what we both were wearing. That is a category I never do well in. Let's see...what was I wearing 17 years ago on a particular day! Anyway, I make up for it because I usually can remember the special dates and even times when they occured.

That first date took place after communicating for a while by letter and phone. I had been gone all school year, finishing my Masters of Divinity degree on an internship in Iowa. She was finishing up her sophomore year of college. We had come to know each other through mutual friends the year before. So, this was the first time that we really talked face to face, in a mutual effort to get to know one another. Before that, I had talked to her because she was dating one of my friends; and that is how I first got to know her.

She still remembers and brings up, from that first date, how we took a picture and I wouldn't put my arm near her, let alone around her. She knew I was cautious from the very beginning. Coming from a very outgoing Italian family, physical expression was natural and normal for her. Not where I came from. You could hug family members and maybe kiss your mom; but too much expression was uncomfortable, at least for me. That is why her family was a little worried that it was months before I would hold her hand, and our first kiss didn't come for almost 17 (yes, seventeen) months after our first date (engagement).

There is still some descrepancy between Teresa and I about an alleged breakup we had in April of 1993; but I'm pretty sure I'm right about it (that there was no breakup). And since this is my blog, we can just assume that I am right! Our first date was April 28, 1992; we were engaged on September 25, 1993; and married on June 18, 1994. We are about to celebrate 15 years of marriage; but today, we celebrate 17 years of dating. Wow - that sounds like a long time. I'm feeling old again.

I mess up alot; and I don't always clearly communicate the love that I have for Teresa. But, I am so grateful to God, for bringing her into my life; and am blessed to think that I have had 17 years of dating her. I still love to date her, to spend time with her, without the kids! She is more beautiful than ever (she doesn't like me to say that, but again, this is blog and I can do what I want!), and if we were to go back 17 years and I had the choice, I would come ringing at that same doorbell once again (and ask for the same person, by the way).

Teresa, thanks for acceping that first date, and for sticking with me all of these years. Thanks for your friendship and love, even through difficult times (including my failures). My love for you has grown over these years, and I look forward to more growth between us in the years to come. I have an idea...how about if we go out on a date and celebrate? I promise to try and remember how your hair looks and what you wear (at least for a day or two!). I love you.

HAPPY 17th DATING ANNIVERSARY!

1 comment:

Teresa said...

You were wearing a green and grey striped sweatshirt and jeans and I was wearing a red white and blue striped polo I had borrowed from one friend and jeans I had borrowed from another (the joys of dorm life!)
I was so excited and nervous, yet felt at ease with you right away. You were easy to talk to and very polite ( albeit you look a little weird in the picture with your hands behind your back!) I remember at the end of the date, when you were dropping me off you asked if we could go out again. I loved spending time with you. I still appreciate your kindness, patience and love. Thank YOU for loving me all these years! . And yes, I would like to go out again.