Friday, June 12, 2009

LONG......................and...................BORING

This phrase has been used for many things, I am sure. It might be used to describe a book someone read, a movie someone saw, a project or meeting somene participated in. I imagine there are hundreds of life's circumstances in which this phrase might be used. And you can probably think of a way, that if this phrase was used to describe something you did or had leadership in, it might hurt that it was said. For example, if you led a meeting, and people were saying this phrase afterward, it might sting. If you spent a special weekend with your family,sacrificing other things, so that you could be with them...and you heard family members respond with this phrase, that might cut deep. Can you think of some way that this phrase might affect you? If so, then perhaps you will understand.

If I encourage someone to read a book and they use this phrase (long and boring) to describe it, I might be disappointed, but certainly not discouraged or hurt. But, the way I heard it used within the last 24 hours is something I can't get out of my head, and I'm not exactly sure what to do about it. Are you wondering how this phrase was used? Let me paraphrase:

Your preaching is LONG...........................................and.......................................................BORING!

Ouch! Now, maybe you don't know why this would hurt. It would be like this: If you were a cook and your customers said: "your cooking is bland and fattening." This would probably hurt alot, especially if it was your intention to cook exciting and healthy meals! So, when a pastor, someone who preaches for a living, hears this phrase, the best way to describe the impact is....OUCH. I'm not trying to get sympathy here; but share my personal and varying experiences as a pastor. And I love what I do, by the way. I would't want to do anything different. And maybe it wouldn't have hurt so much, if I didn't also hear, within the same 24 hour period that people are saying (and I parphrase again): "I'm not getting anything out of his messages".........DOUBLE OUCH!

So, there you have it. What am I going to do about it? I will reflect, think, meditate, pray..............
and then do the very best I can to honor God with my preaching. And, if it doesn't improve, maybe I can learn.......................................................................................................................to cook?

And, for the expressed purpose of not allowing this phrase, and blog entry title, to be used to describe this particular blog entry: I'm done!

2 comments:

David Whiting said...

I feel for you. I doubt anyone but your kicker knows what it is like to "do their job" in front of a crowd that has a tendency to be ruthless and even cruel. But that is our role.

I wish I could say something to encourage you, but all I can do is empathize with you.

I'm sorry you had to hear these things this week!

Another David said...

Riding and exercise bike for an hour is long and boring.
12 weeks of differential equations is long and boring (sorry Glick)
Sleeping in a tent with my son in the backyard is long and boring.

Not everything that is long and boring is bad....especially if it starts with 'open your Bibles to...'

Keep up whatever you're doing...and FYI...one or two does not a "crowd" make :). There are others...