Friday, October 16, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU

About 8:45 p.m. last night it hit me: I had not called my mom yet. I had written it in my calendar, I had purchased the card well in advance, I had sent the card, on time, I thought (although it turned out to be a holiday); and I have been thinking about it every day this week. Even yesterday, on my mom's birthday, I kept thinking: I need to call her, I need to call her. And, I almost forgot. What kind of son am I?

But, I remembered, and as I heard my dad say in the background, while I was talking to my mom: "I guess he's out of the doghouse now", I completed the important call! I came to find out that my sister had called my mom in the morning, my brother in the afternoon, and then me at night. So, see? Leave it to the older, wiser brother to put a nice touch on everything and make it symmetrical! That's enough about me.

As I wished my mom a happy birthday, it made me think of all the years I have enjoyed being her son (my whole life!). My mom, outside of my wife, is the greatest woman I know. She has always been faithful to God and faithful to my dad, along with being loyal to our family. She has always been selfless, putting everyone else's needs and desires in front of her own. She has modeled the love of Christ! She worked as needed, but seemed to always be there for us, as we grew, helping us to learn and grow. I never felt neglected. We knew that my mom was united with my dad, and there was no dividing them - so we didn't even try. I never questioned my mom's faith and her dedication to living for God, along with her desire that we please and honor God with our lives.

She made sure we were able to get to our music practices, sports games and everything that was going on in church. She did what she could to make sure we could participate in life challenging and changing experiences such as summer camps, special programs and service projects through our church, and missions trips - to name a few. Those types of sacrifices can easily go unnoticed.
I don't remember my mom complaining about all the work she did around the house, including all the thankless jobs no one else wanted to do. I always think of mom as a hard worker, with a quiet spirit, a godly woman.

So, here's to you mom. God has used you greatly in my life - not only to bring me into this world; but to help me navigate through it. I love you, more than you can know, and certainly more than I tell you (sorry about that).
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

No comments: