Monday, October 26, 2009

Thank God I'm not a politician

I like the title of my blog entry today, but it's probably not a good idea, because I have to begin by making at least 2 disclaimers: First, those of you who read or heard my message on taking God's name in vain a couple weeks ago may be wondering if I just did that in the title. Let me assure you, that I did not take God's name in vain, because I am, indeed, thanking God, for this. I do not write this flippantly. I have thanked and do thank God, in prayer, that I am not a politician. That leads to my second disclaimer: I am not opposed to politicians nor do I think they are opposed to God or by Him. There are many politicians, including Christian ones, that are living faithfully for God, and doing their best to honor Him in politics.

Now, for the explanation of why I am thanking God for this today. As I grow older, I am probably not alone in thinking about how I have used and am using my life. That includes my profession of choice. For any Christian, however, it is important to note that we don't choose a profession for personal benefit, but we choose it because we believe God has called us to it. We are doing it for him, regardless of what we "do" for a job. I do not believe being a pastor is better spiritually or seen as greater by God than anything else that God calls His people to do. Even though I love missionaries and I think we ought to have more, I do not believe they are better because God has called them to that, and He has called others to something else. Whatever job God has called people to, even if it is a different job every year, is blessed by God if they are doing it with the right attitude and with all their heart, for the glory of God.

I have been called, at least for now, to be a pastor. I have sensed that call sense I was 13. I know that this calling has its "downsides" and risks, but I wouldn't want to do anything else, because I do believe God has called me to it. Yes, there are days when I am ready to quit, but that is because I am humanly weak and unless I get my strength to fulfill my calling from God Himself, then I will be ready to quit every week. I am thankful for this calling, this privilege, this responsibility.

I was thinking, this week, about how I am thankful I am not a politician. Maybe it is because it is voting time, in our area, for mayors and for some other positions of local government. It is also time when we see all these signs to "vote no for issue 3" or ",vote yes for issue 6", etc. There have been times when I have enjoyed watching political news, but I have been having a very hard time in the last year or so. And its not because of who has been elected in various positions. I just get sick of political talk. And it makes me wonder how I would fair as a politician. It is true, unfortunately, that church life sometimes seems political, but that is not how God designed it.
If it was about politics, I don't think I could do it. I think I would stink as a politician.

Here is the bottom line for me. Here is why I am forever grateful that God has called me to be a pastor. Let's say that everything political went my way. Let's say that all the people I want in government are elected, abortion is outlawed, and all the other issues that are important to me are passed. Even if all of that happened, what ETERNAL difference would that make? It might make life on earth easier for Christians, but is that God's goal?

As a pastor, I have the awesome privilege of spending most of my time at least attempting, to make an eternal difference in people's lives. I get to study and communicate the Word of God, which promises to be used by God the Holy Spirit, to change lives for eternity. I get to counsel people with God's Word and talk to people constantly about things that make a difference. I get to meet with and serve with people on a regular basis who are voluntarily serving here at Grace, for the glory of God. They have other jobs that God has called them to, and yet they joyfully give of their talents, treasure and time, in serving alongside of me, to make an eternal difference in other's lives. Why would I want to do something else? I don't; even when it gets tough.

I have nothing against politicians or any other profession for that matter; but thank you God, for calling me to be a pastor. May I please you in what you have called me to do.

No comments: