Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Reflections on Psalm 73

Psalm 73 has been a Psalm on my mind recently. Let me share the most encouraging and challenging verses here:

Psalm 73:24-26,28 - "You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. But for me it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all your works."

When I don't really know what to do, or where to go, God is there. It is His counsel that gets me through. His counsel is in His Word. His counsel comes through the Comforter, the Counselor, God the Holy Spirit, who dwells within me. And His counsel, many times, comes through other people who love and care for me, who speak God truth to me, and remind me of His ways.

I know I am weak and I fail often. When I concentrate on my failures and the fact that I don't meet other's expectations, I can get discouraged. But instead, what I should do, what I want to do, is find my strength from the one who is truly my refuge: my Lord and Savior. It is His expectations that I want to meet. And it is a great comfort to know that His main expectation of me is: to trust Him. When I feel weak, He wants me to trust that His Word is true: "My Grace is sufficient for you; my power is made perfect in weakness." (II Corinthians 12:9)

And, as the Psalmist closed, so do I: I want to tell you how awesome my God is. He has strengthened me, He has helped me, He has brought just the right people at the right time to encourage me. I am a witness to the fact that He keeps all of His promises, and He is who He said He is: He is God, He is my fortress, He is my refuge, He is truth and life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes, Psalm 73:24-28 is a great comfort. Our God is an awesome God and knows EVERYTHING about us and will always guide us and forgive us. May we depend wholly on Him, humbly in love.