Friday, January 7, 2011

Choosing Joy Today

Is there any good reason I cannot have full joy today?
  • What if I'm not feeling well?
  • What if things are not going so well at work?
  • What if my child is struggling with school?
  • What if my finances are low?
  • What if the weather stinks?
  • What if I am the topic of gossip/slander?
  • What if I am having an argument with my wife?
  • What if someone I love is dealing with a life threatening illness?
  • What if the government doesn't seem to be making God honoring choices?

I'm sure I could add to this list, and if anyone out there reads this entry, you would have some circumstances to add as well: things that we all go through at one time or another. And, sometimes, it seems as though we are going through it all at the same time. But, one of the things God has been challenging me with, is His command to pursue joy at all times, and in all circumstances.

If my focus is on Christ and all He has done...if I am focused on what is eternal rather than temporal..if I will focus on God and not on myself; then I can, indeed, choose joy today! Here are some of the verses I am focusing on today:

Lamentations 3:22,23 - "Because of the LORD'S great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."

Habbakkuk 3:17,18 - "Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD. I will be joyful in God my Savior."

Philippians 4:4 - "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!"

I Thessalonians 5:16,18 - "Be joyful always...give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

No comments: