Friday, June 17, 2011

Do you remember 17 years ago?

17 years ago today, the 5th game of the NBA finals was taking place, between the Houston Rockets and New York Knicks. Unless you are a Rockets or Knicks fan, from way back when, you probably don't remember the game. I don't even remember who won that game or who won the series. It wasn't the game that caused 95 million people, worldwide, to have their programming interrupted, regardless of what network or local news outlet they were watching at the time (about 7 p.m. EST), to hear and see footage of breaking news. In fact, the station carrying the NBA finals put the game in a box in the corner of the screen so that the rest of the screen could be dedicated to the breaking news:

In Orange County, CA, on interstate 405, we watched a ton of police cars "chase" (it wasn't really a chase - more like a "Sunday drive" through a park) a white Ford Bronco. It was so slow and the news got around so quickly,that eventually there were people standing out of their cars, alongside the road, watching the white bronco go by; because by then they knew who was in the car: O.J. Simpson. OJ was one of the greatest running backs who ever played football, but at the time, he was wanted for a double murder: his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman. Say it ain't so OJ!

But, for me personally, even as I watched the chase on TV, it was not even close to my highlight that day or that weekend. It was not going to distract me from the greatest event of my life. For, the next day, I would be married to Teresa Ann Campagna, and receive the greatest gift from God (after my personal birth and my re-birth through salvation): my beautiful bride! 17 years ago, today, we were enjoying family and friends, who were arriving, as we had our rehearsal dinner and rehearsal. It was a great time of celebration. Even OJ's arrest could not take that away.

And of course, that all means, that tomorrow, June 18th, marks 17 years of being married to the most wonderful, godly, beautiful woman in the world: Teresa Whiting! Babe, I am still in love with you, and it grows year after year. You are becoming more precious to me, even as time goes on. Thanks for putting up with me, for your faithfulness to God, your effort in rearing our children, and for your love for me. I am so grateful for you, for our 17 years of marriage; and I look forward, by God's grace, to this next year of life together. I LOVE YOU!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God gave you a gift through her. Cherish her and love her forever. I have been married 34 years, and I love my wife more today than yesterday... but not as much as tomorrow. :)... As I do the Lord Jesus Christ! This is a visitor that is posting this. I attended your church with my daughter last week. We both loved the service. Take care and god bless. I'll be there tomorrow, 7/17.