Saturday, September 3, 2011

FIELD DAY!

alternate title: Feeling Old Day!
At this time of year, just at the beginning of the school year, our children would often have a field day, where classes were suspended, and they would do a variety of activities together as a school. Since we have all 5 of our kids home for school this year, we decided to have our own field day: Friday, September 2nd. The structure of our field day was built on each family member choosing 1 activity for all of us to participate in.

Our first 2 activities were a unique soccer game and ultimate frisbee. It was hot and muggy out, which is what I am going to blame my pure exhaustion on. It can't be because I'm out of shape, or old, can it? It was our first ultimate frisbee game together as a family; but it really worked well. I might even be able to say that all 7 of us enjoyed it (that is a rare thing)!

But, what made me feel the oldest, was the obstacle course. This was also pretty fun, as each family member put together one obstacle for everyone to participate in. However, this is where my aging was revealed. My goal was to beat my teenage son's time. I had a great start. But, once I got to the obstacle of spinning my body around a bat 5 times, everything went a little blurry. I could hardly stand up, let alone run to the next obstacle. We have video evidence (which means my kids must have expected I would have a problem) but don't expect to see it anytime soon, or ever. The only thing that makes me feel better is that my young wife had more problems with that obstacle than I did. Perhaps I can secretly get that video to you. It is funny (at least in my humble opinion)!

After all the heart pumping, sweating work we did earlier in the day, the last few activities were more the speed for us older folks. We went to our favorite pizza place, favorite ice cream place, watched the sunset at the beach (make my wife happy); and played hide and seek at the church. These are things I can do, without heavy breathing. It was a full day, but a good one.

So, that was Field Day, or Feeling Old Day; but either way, it was a fun family day!

No comments: