Saturday, September 24, 2011

PASTOR DECIDES TO STOP GIVING

What about that for a headline? I don't think I have ever seen it; but it would certainly get attention...atleast it would get mine. I think we take it for granted that pastors would give, consistently and generously, at all times. I have never heard a message geared toward pastors giving financially, along with everyone else. I think it is assumed. However, just this last week, the thought crossed my mind: do I really have to give...joyfully, voluntarily, sacrificially (as I preach to everyone else)? My mind starts to build a case for justifying not to give, just once: the Bible doesn't direct pastors to give; it seems to emphasize that the giving by others cares for the pastors; finances are tight; I could the money for so many other good causes; an appliance broke and we had to use money to fix it; and there were a few more thoughts I have forgotten.

My point is this: I am just like everyone else - no more holy - not a robot. I am tempted, like everyone else, not to follow through with living sacrificially, for the glory of God, at all times. And when it comes to financial giving, I have the same challenges others face. And I am faced with the same temptations, including when it comes to withholding my giving from what God requires.

Thankfully, God's Spirit won't let me give in to the lies; and I have decided to continue giving. it doesn't mean I will never be tempted again in this area; but for now, I have come to my senses. I must continue to rely on what I know to be true: my responsibility is to give as God has asked; and it is His responsibility to meet all my needs (He has never let me down). Tomorrow, as I place my envelope in the contribution box, I will choose to give joyfully, and see it as a great opportunity to worship.

No comments: