Saturday, October 1, 2011

First Job

Just the other day, my eldest daughter secured her first "real" job. She has done plenty of work in the past, including: the important work at home, doing chores, watching kids, etc.; serving at our church, serving God in many ways, including working with kids; volunteering at a Christian camp for a few weeks (Skyview Ranch - Millersburg, Oh); and other things I am forgetting. But, you probably know what I mean: this job is a paying job, where she interviewed for it, is training for it, and will be working it until she moves onto something else. It is a big deal!

I am realizing, as a parent, as my children grow to different stages of life, that there is a huge difference experiencing the stages myself and experiencing them as a parent. My first paying job was at age 11 (I think), as I began a paper route. I worked that until I left for college, even going back to the same work when I was in between pastoral ministries. I eventually worked other jobs in high school as well, including: Hardees restaurant; Sears portrait gallery telemarketer; and probably something else I am forgetting. Work is a good thing, an important thing; but it is also a sign of moving forward in life. And for teenagers, it is a whole new stage.

The making money part is nice; but there is also the tough lesson of taxes that hits every teenager pretty much the same way when they see their first paycheck: "What in the world is going on here? Where is my money? Who stole my money?" It is a great teaching opportunity, but I can't help but laugh a little (inside of course), as the response is sure to come. Beside the money issue, learning to work hard, be on time, communicate with employers and fellow workers, being responsible, all the way around, are just some of the great learning opportunities that come with the first jobs of a high schooler.

So, my sweet daughter, congratulations on landing your first "real" job; and may God bless as you learn some important lessons along the way. One more thing: there is nothing like being a parent and having the experience I had a few days ago. Her employer told me how sweet my daughter is, how glad they are to have her, and ended her comments with: "This was a good hire". What else does a proud dad want to hear? (well, maybe this: "oh, by the way, since your daughter is so sweet and everything, we have decided to give her dad free food anytime he wants!")

No comments: