Friday, October 28, 2011

5th Quarter

Where does this movie title come from? The movie itself reveals it: Many teams and fans, when the 4th quarter of a football game comes, will hold up 4 fingers to be a motivational reminder that they must play their best football as the game is coming to an end. It is about finishing well. In this case, the players and fans are holding up 5 fingers, in honor of a player's brother, who wore #5 when playing football, but had died in a car accident. The 4th quarter was now known as the 5th quarter.

The movie interested me for a few different reasons: It was about football, it received good reviews from sources I trust; and one of the things I appreciate the most: it was based on a true story. What also made the movie interesting, is that it had a strong message about organ donation, which is not something I remember seeing before. It also lent me an opportunity to talk to my newly driving teenage son about reckless driving; and even getting in a car with a reckless driver.

From my perspective, it was well done and well acted. Even though Wake Forest is not a team I have ever paid attention to, I found myself cheering for them, as they fed on the emotion stemming from a tragedy, and had an unlikely, incredible season in 2006. The story featured the real life experience of linebacker Jon Abbate. It is a compelling story.

So, let me recommend, if you like emotional dramas involving families, or if you are a football fan, that you find time to watch: 5th Quarter. It was one of those movies, where I found myself being inspired to evaluate the challenges of my life; and to make the best of the challenges and blessings God has given me. ENJOY!

No comments: