Friday, October 7, 2011

COURAGEOUS

Christian movies scare me a little bit; because many times, they do more harm than good, in my opinion. If it is obviously meant to have a Christian message, it is important that it is well done. It doesn't have to have well known actors or tons of money or incredible special effects. But, it needs to be well done. I'm no movie critic, but I have seen enough Christian movies to know if it is good or not; at least good enough to represent Christ well to those who see it.

Courageous is the latest work from Sherwood Pictures, which also produced Fireproof and Facing the Giants. These movies also were decidedly Christian, made with little money and some very inexperienced actors. However, they surprisingly did well at the box office and there are many supporters who eagerly wait for their next production. I had seen and really enjoyed the previously mentioned movies, so I was cautiously optimistic about Courageous.

I went with 5 other men, all fathers, from our church and watched it together. Although it is rated PG-13, there is no inappropriate material that would embarrass followers of Jesus. The only question may be to what age of children you would allow to watch the movie. The worst part were the previews they showed for R rated movies before the one we came to watch. I could tell some of the themes and issues in the movies will be inappropriate, by what I heard, but I kept my eyes closed in case there were inappropriate images as well. I cannot speak to that.

Whereas Fireproof focused on fireman learning the importance and commitment of marriage, Courageous focused on policemen learning the importance and commitment of fathering and leading their families. It was excellent! The comedy was clean and well done. The action was realistic, as testified to by current and former law enforcement officers I have talked to, that have seen the movie. The drama was captivating, as many character issues were raises and played out in a variety of circumstances.

Anyone who believes in the importance of family and faith will appreciate and enjoy this movie. What I appreciated most, however, was how they were able to present the true message of the gospel, in the context of a well made movie with a good plot. As in the movies preceding it, Courageous found a way to give us an enjoyable movie experience; but keep the message of the gospel in tact. Good for them!

So, I would like to encourage all adults and perhaps even their teenagers, to go see Courageous. Support the movie in the theaters so it will be more likely that other movies like it will be made, and more theaters will make these available for audiences. And allow it to be an opportunity of discussion among those who see it with you; and perhaps even a specific challenge to your own spiritual growth.

No comments: