Friday, September 9, 2011

NINE ELEVEN

That's all you have to say and people know what you are talking about. This morning, I grabbed a tee shirt out of my drawer, and it said America on it. Normally, I wouldn't think twice about what the shirt said, but this weekend, it's different...isn't it? The likelihood is, that if you watch news channels, or the history channel, this weekend, you are going to be watching hours of reflection from an event 10 years ago that touched us all...in some way.

How did it touch my life? That morning, I was working at the church and the custodian came to tell me that planes crashed into the world trade center towers. I called Teresa and told her to turn on the TV. I remember going to some appointment that day or soon after and hearing the president talk about it on the radio. I remember these deep, intense feelings of patriotism rising to engulf my entire being. Did you feel the same way? We were looking for en enemy to fight, to show American resolve and to somehow bring to justice those that took American lives in their acts of cowardice.

But, over these past 10 years, I have had much more time to reflect, biblically, on what happened on 9/11. I am not one of those that believes that every disaster or tragedy is a specific act of God's judgment on America for a particular sin or political view. I believe in a sovereign God who ALWAYS does what is right, and what brings Him glory. If there is something to blame, the blame goes to the sinful nature of man, that brings death as a consequence. It is the only explanation, really, for why people would do the terribly things they did that day. It is only a loving, merciful God that would rescue any of us, or keep us from being wiped off the planet. And, in the big picture of things, God's desire is not to keep us here as long as possible, keep us safe, and help us accomplish the American Dream (whatever that is).

Whatever happens in our lives, including 9/11 level events, it gives us an opportunity to focus on our God, who is the Creator of all life; and most importantly, offers eternal life to all who will go to Him through His Son, Jesus Christ. 9/11 affected all kinds of people all kinds of different ways. I can't pretend to know what it was like for those who lost loved ones that day. But, I do know that all of life's events allow us to grow, to reflect on our short, uncertain lives, and to place our complete trust in the only one who really knows the reason for all things - and has everything in control - the one and only true God! May He receive attention and glory, this weekend, for the protection He has given us, for the great blessings we still enjoy; and most of all, for who He is.

No comments: