Friday, December 23, 2011

Goodbye 1st decade, hello 2nd

When I say it that way, it seems more discouraging than saying it this way: Happy 11th birthday Caleb and Gabrielle! Our youngest 2 turned 11 yesterday; and yes, began their second decade of life. As all parents know, it seems to go so fast...very, very fast! Sometimes, things seem like a blur, and it is hard to "slow things down" and just enjoy the moments, the fleeting moments of their lives, our lives.

Yesterday, I had one of those moments, where things seemed to "stand still" and I just took it all in. I normally take the birthday boy or girl; or boy and girl (with 2 sets of twins, this is normally what happens!) out for donuts on their birthday. And yes, since I am with them, I might as well have a couple myself. I wouldn't want to be a "party pooper" and not celebrate with my kids, right?!

Anyway, on this occasion, I offered to take them out for lunch instead. But, that would have meant them opening their presents a few hours later than planned, and that was no good (not at their age anyway). So, we decided to keep the breakfast appointment, but they did ask to go to Panera Bread instead this year. Don't worry: they still had unhealthy treats in the form of cinnamon crunch bagels and cinnamon rolls!

But, the moment that stood still for me and that I will will hold onto is when, at 6:30 in the morning, I heard them talking in the room (it was cute that they wanted to sleep in the bunk beds in Caleb's room that night). They stood up and looked so big to me. They were all excited for their special day. They had huge smiles on their faces as they thought about going out to breakfast, opening their gifts and then having friends over later to celebrate.

I know there are more important things in life; and I think they do as well. But, for that moment, to take in their pure joy and excitement that came with the beginning of their 2nd decade of life, it was priceless. I will hang onto that memory forever (well, at least until I forget it; and since I'm in my 5th decade of life, the memory might fade well before "forever"!). So, at least for today I will remember their big smiles and excited faces, as I thank God for these 2 precious children!!

p.s. It was an interesting time, after 7:22 a.m. (when Caleb was born), that Gabrielle realized Caleb had just turned 11 but that she was still 10 for another half an hour!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, their second decade of life began when they turned 10.