Friday, December 2, 2011

I MISS THE BEACH

That is a phrase people that know me would never expect to hear coming out of my mouth. In fact, this is probably the first time I have ever said it (or written it). Normally, I agree with my father-in-law who recently said: "I like everything about the beach except for the sun, the sand and the water!" Now, he was kidding; but I'm not. I can't think of something much more uncomfortable than being out in the hot sun, getting burned and having hot sand in between my toes. My wife, on the other hand, LOVES the beach. That's the only thing we disagree on of course!

However, the title of this blog is correct: I miss the beach. It doesn't mean I wish I was still on vacation or that my opinions on the above discomfort has changed. It has everything to do with the days I recently spent on the beach...alone with God. He used that time to re-energize me, to refresh me, and to get my perspective back on the right track. I'm sure it is this way in other professions; but as a pastor, I know I need some time to get away, periodically, and refocus. That is why I miss the beach.

Every morning, on vacation, before anyone else arose, I had time to walk on the beach (note:going to the beach early in the morning cuts down on the some of its inherent discomfort!), and just be with God. I was able to pray for long periods of time and meditate on Scripture. Whether on vacation or not, I know I need some time to talk with God and let Him talk to me. But, when away in a different environment (even a beach), there seems to be a special opportunity to return to a better perspective on life and ministry. That is what happened for me.

I will close with the 4 verses that God used from Romans 12 (the passage of Scripture our family just memorized) to remind me of my responsibility. I meditated on this passage all through vacation and from that, I know what God was trying to say to me:

Romans 12:9-12 - "Love must be sincere: hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope,patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."

No comments: